A Southern Biff's Return to Modelling

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I've painted in the tracks, and the right left hand side of the base:

1617651643893.png

The tracks I painted with a dark brown then dusted over with the main earth colour to give the impression of wet mud drying. TheCarrier will be canted over at quite an angle, which will show its innards off quite nicely!

1617651844387.png

Still working out the best positioning for the trees, to give the best impression of a wood, but at the same time allowing you to see what's there.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking great!!
Thanks, a decent regain from nearly melting the whole bloody diorama... Not where I wanted to be by now, but I'll take it.

Boxy

GCM
It will be interesting to see how the completed diorama compares to the initial sketches

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
A little progress last night, finished the first coat of ground paint:

1617897182399.png

...and built the log walls of the PAK position:

1617897267966.png

I've also started building the roof of the ammo bunker and the MG overhead cover:

1617897430511.png

1617897451633.png

....and today a rather expensive new toy has turned up:

1617897667319.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It will be interesting to see how the completed diorama compares to the initial sketches
Hopefully not too far off, but I find I'm often challenging and rethinking the premise of this diorama as I go on....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Last night's effort:

1617952597576.png

Close up of the bunker roof:

1617952636469.png

Close up of the MG position:

1617952672872.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Today I spent the morning at my rifle club sorting things out for reopening the indoor range, and then this afternoon touring the wilds of Thanet in search of my wife and a large map chest (don't ask), meaning I've not had much time to work on the diorama today.

However I managed to finish painting the base before heading off this morning, and on return decided to try my arm at static grass laying. After watching youtube how-to vids, I applied a layer of 2mm summer grass:

1618085488025.png

...As you can see it looked luridly green and closely resembled golf links, not exactly the look needed for the German Reichswald in winter! However, taking a closer look around the MG position the realism of the grass is pretty impressive:

1618085872290.png

With a second laying of 4mm Autumn grass over the top, it starts to look even better:

1618086243332.png

The next step will be to do a scattered layer of 6mm wild meadow grass, but I have hit a snag. The kit I bought was rather expensive at £60, but as it came with a "starter kit" of 4 different grasses and a pot of the polyurethane glue, I thought it was worth ago. However the 4 grass bags are each slightly larger than a teabag, and the glue pot isn't much bigger than a tin of Humbrol enamel. A bit shoddy for that price, hence the slightly galling issue that I've not got enough of the 2mm grass to do the whole meadow area:

1618086867265.png

I've done the 4mm grass from the left edge of the base up to the left rut of the cart track, which gives a more mottled and textured look. It's ridiculously easy to use and produces an amazing effect, so @Simmerit , I think you can take it I'm pretty impressed with this WWS kit, apart from the ridiculously small amount of supplies you get with it!

So now I'm waiting to receive more 2mm grass before I can get this bit finished...

:mad:

Today I spent the morning at my rifle club sorting things out for reopening the indoor range, and then this afternoon touring the wilds of Thanet in search of my wife and a large map chest (don't ask), meaning I've not had much time to work on the diorama today.

However I managed to finish painting the base before heading off this morning, and on return decided to try my arm at static grass laying. After watching youtube how-to vids, I applied a layer of 2mm summer grass:

View attachment 564278

...As you can see it looked luridly green and closely resembled golf links, not exactly the look needed for the German Reichswald in winter! However, taking a closer look around the MG position the realism of the grass is pretty impressive:

View attachment 564280

With a second laying of 4mm Autumn grass over the top, it starts to look even better:

View attachment 564286

The next step will be to do a scattered layer of 6mm wild meadow grass, but I have hit a snag. The kit I bought was rather expensive at £60, but as it came with a "starter kit" of 4 different grasses and a pot of the polyurethane glue, I thought it was worth ago. However the 4 grass bags are each slightly larger than a teabag, and the glue pot isn't much bigger than a tin of Humbrol enamel. A bit shoddy for that price, hence the slightly galling issue that I've not got enough of the 2mm grass to do the whole meadow area:

View attachment 564296

I've done the 4mm grass from the left edge of the base up to the left rut of the cart track, which gives a more mottled and textured look. It's ridiculously easy to use and produces an amazing effect, so @Simmerit , I think you can take it I'm pretty impressed with this WWS kit, apart from the ridiculously small amount of supplies you get with it!

So now I'm waiting to receive more 2mm grass before I can get this bit finished...

:mad:

cant see my club going into an indoor range for some time.

that grass is bloody price!!!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
cant see my club going into an indoor range for some time.

that grass is bloody price!!!
Virtually going through full decontam drills on a 25m indoor range, I was pissing about with a disinfectant fogging backpack wearing disposable overalls this morning, feeling a right nipple... but if it means I get to go bang a few times a week then it'll be worth it.

And yes the WWS grass is bloody pricey, so I'm trying some cheaper grass. The applicator is brilliant though, and youtube nerds say that it works well with any of the static grass available.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Today's efforts (interspersed with domestic bliss chores) were kick started by the arrival of the 2mm grass I ordered last night (Gawdblessyer, Mr Amazon Sah), so I finished laying the base layer:

1618155510110.png

As the more keen-eyed readers may well discern, the new stuff I ordered was an even more vibrant hue than the 2mm I'd already laid, but hey ho. You can also see that I haven't laid grass all the way up to the PAK position; this will be inside the tree line, so will be covered in winter with dead leaves etc.

I got on with laying the second layer of over the 2mm, which whilst it didn't completely take away the different colour of the new stuff, blended the two colours nicely:

1618155828427.png

I'm really impressed with the effect, and I'm looking forward to laying the third 6mm layer. I don't think I'll be buying any WWS grass or glue anytime soon; the teeny little pot ran out half way through applying the 6mm, and I finished it with watered down PVA glue which worked a treat, I just have to leave it to dry slightly longer. Similarly, the non-WWS 2mm grass works fine.

1618156501825.png

Today's efforts (interspersed with domestic bliss chores) were kick started by the arrival of the 2mm grass I ordered last night (Gawdblessyer, Mr Amazon Sah), so I finished laying the base layer:

View attachment 564524

As the more keen-eyed readers may well discern, the new stuff I ordered was an even more vibrant hue than the 2mm I'd already laid, but hey ho. You can also see that I haven't laid grass all the way up to the PAK position; this will be inside the tree line, so will be covered in winter with dead leaves etc.

I got on with laying the second layer of over the 2mm, which whilst it didn't completely take away the different colour of the new stuff, blended the two colours nicely:

View attachment 564525

I'm really impressed with the effect, and I'm looking forward to laying the third 6mm layer. I don't think I'll be buying any WWS grass or glue anytime soon; the teeny little pot ran out half way through applying the 6mm, and I finished it with watered down PVA glue which worked a treat, I just have to leave it to dry slightly longer. Similarly, the non-WWS 2mm grass works fine.

View attachment 564530

Will you be putting some darker material like water or wet mud in the track imprints to give it s bit of depth?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Will you be putting some darker material like water or wet mud in the track imprints to give it s bit of depth?
Yes I over did the lighter mud a bit so I'll retouch the indents with the dark brown

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That looks really effective, in fact looks like my garden ! lol , well done BTW :)
I wish I could claim the credit, but it was embarrassingly easy to use the WWS kit.

stuskimac

Clanker
The grass is effective, as you probably know, unkempt grass doesn't grow even (hence like my garden ;) ) You have long mature dark green grass, dry/dead light brown grass/hay and lush light green new growth. Waterlogged patchy ground will lighten the grass too. It ticks all the boxes for me, the tank tracks work too, looks like freshly churned up mud/clay, I would leave them as they are, they have depth too, the bottom photo really shows this I think. Looking forward to see the finished diorama :)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks, but I think @Listy is right, and I have overdone the light brown. Rinse and repeat!

so does the kit come with an electronic static applicator to make the grass stand up? Loving the interrelation in your diorama ground work between machine and nature.

edit to add that first pic 390, the grass looks wind blown, superb.

Latest Threads