Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Southern Biff's Return to Modelling

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
you can get anti glossing agents or just a rattle can of matt varnish
Before I go crazy with a can, will Matt varnish take away all the gloss reflection or will it still be noticeable compared to the Matt dunkel gelb under the varnish?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Before I go crazy with a can, will Matt varnish take away all the gloss reflection or will it still be noticeable compared to the Matt dunkel gelb under the varnish?
* sucks teeth * Weeeeell, it all depends chief. Honestly don't know as there are a lot of variables my advice would be try a test piece.

Daz

LE
* sucks teeth * Weeeeell, it all depends chief. Honestly don't know as there are a lot of variables my advice would be try a test piece.
It depends on the silvering of the decal as well, however, the whole model would need to be coated and not just the decal area, otherwise, you'll end up with some areas matt, some areas satin or gloss depending on the base paint, spraying the whole model tends to tie it all together - sometimes it also helps to slightly discolour the varnish with the base colour to help tie it all in

Before and after a matt coat on the decals if that helps
IMG_20180412_223226.jpg
IMG_20180413_205627.jpg

Dads203

Old-Salt
Just be careful with Matt varnishes, they are really finicky when it comes to humidity and extremes of hot and cold. They have a tendency to frost up or bloom into a white haze causing models to fly through the air towards bins.
I have found the Humbrol Matt varnishes to be really sensitive to this and only fit for the bin to be honest, Windsor and Newton Galleria Matt varnish is probably one of the best I have found along with the Mig Ammo flat varnish being very good. Both I’ve been able to also brush on and airbrush with ease.

Always test it first before you commit to a build.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Just be careful with Matt varnishes, they are really finicky when it comes to humidity and extremes of hot and cold. They have a tendency to frost up or bloom into a white haze causing models to fly through the air towards bins.
I have found the Humbrol Matt varnishes to be really sensitive to this and only fit for the bin to be honest, Windsor and Newton Galleria Matt varnish is probably one of the best I have found along with the Mig Ammo flat varnish being very good. Both I’ve been able to also brush on and airbrush with ease.

Always test it first before you commit to a build.
Thanks, I'll go for another coat of paint instead then, with brush and hopefully not shiny this time...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Waiting for the paint to dry and I came across this WW2 diagram of a PAK position:

1613579200471.png

Really tempted....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The Dunkel grun has been brushed over (with very well stirred paint this time) and is now de-shined, and I've stuck the dunkel Braun on with the brush as well:

1613583617168.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks top to me
You're very kind, but it's better than it was, and I think (hope) that I can cover the worst of it with mud....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Muddying up the running gear and underside of the barrel and trails:

1613654061411.png

The wheels and the bullet plate:

1613654258615.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Mud painted on the gun and trails, just the wheels to do:

1613665298940.png