A song about a British Squaddie.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Wobblyhead, Apr 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help,
    I'm trying to find a song written about a British Soldier who threw himself on a bomb in a train station(I think). The guy may have been called Willets, but I'm not sure.
    We used to sing it when p!$$ed in Belfast, the lyrics are something like

In the station in the city,
    A British Soldier stood,
    Talking with the people there,
    As other people would,
    Some just stared in hatred,
    And others turned in fear,
    And the lonely British Soldier wished,
    He was not standing here.

Come join the British Army,
    Said the posters in his town,
    You'll see the world,
    And be a man, come serve before the crown.
    Well jobs were hard to come by,
    And he couldn't face the dole,
    So he took his Countries shilling,
    And enlisted on the role.

They're not exact and it goes on for about 15 verses, but hopefully it'll ignite some memories and some kind soul will be able to tell me who its by, and where I might be able to get a copy.

Ta.

2. Havn't got it anymore,

but was a song by Harvey Andrews it may be for somewhere to start the search for the lyrics!
    !

3. I remember it, it's about a squaddie who throws himself on a bomb at a Bus station or train station. I remember Harvey Andrews singing it at the RAF Gutersloh Folk Club (it sounds different with one finger in your ear). It's on his Album "Writer of Songs", which you can order here:

http://www.harveyandrews.com/catalogue.html

4. And BBC radio bless them banned it over the airways................true story if I am not mistaken

5. Much appreciated, its a great song, still capable of bringing a lump to the throat.

6. I may be re-enforcing urban legend here but I believe the song was about a Para Sgt who threw his body over a bomb to prevent civvy casualties ...and if I remember correctly it was Springfield Rd Police Stn. That ambiguity aside the name Willets is the one most frequently associated with the song......and I think he was a Para Sgt.

7. I'm not so sure about that. I can remember stories in the past of BFBS being leaned on by some senior officers (Goodnight Saigon - Billy Joel), only for the song to appear on a local station almost straight away. The BBC are far less prone to influence over that sort of thing - only if it had swear words in it.