A soapy one for Obama?Tasting notes reveal wine diplomacy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by 1stgulfmac, Feb 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. How do I get to be SO2 Wine Tasting? Throw in a flat in a palace (Buckingham or St James', not fussy) and I'd be there tomorrow.

3. That's some "offie" the government has. Does it do fags and chrisps?

4. Thats a half bottle of a 1912 Cognac there. it would never last that long in my house.

5. Photo was taken at a quarter to eight though so not that bad going really.

6. Ah yes the very cellar that was recently filled with £420k worth of wine,and in the HoC a glass of wine can be had for £2.35!

7. Makes me proud to pay my Taxes. They can drink Blue Nun for free and be grateful.

8. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

Is that right, the Cognac is 74% proof. Is it for drinking, laying down and avoiding or is it used for stripping varnish?

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Your getting confused between proof and abv: Proof refers to the gravity, a 100% Proof alcohol is only 57%abv.

74% Proof is 42% Abv

10. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

I bow to your superior intelligence, Sir. I've often wondered what the difference between the two was.

11. A good thing that the military doesnt have any wine cellars where beverages can be laid down for free then isn't it...

12. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Wasnt the HoC Wine committee one of the committees which was saved from the Bonfire of the Quangos last year? No fricken wonder. I wonder how much of the stuff John Reid and that ginger lib Kennedy ploughed through in their time?

13. Actually, that is 13 1/2 bottles of 1912 Cognac there.

14. I know it's in current affairs not the naafi, but how long is this thread going to go on before someone coughs to the fact that they saw the words "a soapy one for Obama" and immediately assumed there'd be pics of him getting a soapy tit **** off his mrs?

I know I did (make that assumption, rather than receive the soapy tit ****, mores the sodding pity!)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

15. Is that why you're known as the exorcist?

No spirits in the house.