A small patrol pack that will fit under the lid of a bergan

At the risk of having my head bit off for writing 'another sodding daysack post'...
I'm looking for a non Issue daysack that is small enough to shove under the lid of a bergan.
Just a 6-12hour jobbie. Thanks

The_Duke

LE
Is that 6 - 12 hours worth of sandwiches or 6 - 12 hours worth of batteries for radios and ECM? Perhaps it is 6 - 12 hours worth of link for the GPMG if in a fierce TIC?

Pretty pointless measuring capacity in time, don't you think?

I had a 6 hour jobbie on boxing day. I blame the turkey and sprouts. Bloody awful it was. Hoop felt like it had gone a night out with 3 PARA mortars.

As for your daysac question. What The Duke said.

I know by saying this I'll probably have my account deleted but... Im OTC. The most exciting adventures we go on seperated from our bergans is say, a day and a night nav. I just need something for gortex warm kit radio orders, gloves and medkit. Something that I can badly dive to prone in for a day... A rocket pack on a straps doesnt hold half the kit we take...

Z

Zarathustra

I know by saying this I'll probably have my account deleted but... Im OTC. The most exciting adventures we go on seperated from our bergans is say, a day and a night nav. I just need something for gortex warm kit radio orders, gloves and medkit. Something that I can badly dive to prone in for a day... A rocket pack on a straps doesnt hold half the kit we take...
I have a good day sack I got from HM supplies, had it since 2004 and it's still going strong. It's big enough to carry radios and plenty of kit but will fit under the lid of a well packed Bergen.

http://www.hmsupplies.co.uk/536-hmronum-HM-Supplies-ronum-daysack-40l.html

Though at £55 might be a bit steep for the OTC

Take the frame out and it folds down smaller than your room in student digs.

I worked that out all by myself; and I didn't go to uni!

Why do you specify non issue ?

Not always the preferred option to use G10 for men, but sometimes just the job.

I specify non issue because our QMS is less than friendly about issuing kit. "2 rocket pouches one for bergan one with this yoke now (insert creative army expletive) off". I cant get one from stores so figured I should look elsewhere rather than put up with rocket pouches.

Issue NI patrol sack? Cut off the side pouches, bobs your uncle. (Assuming youre trusted with sharp objects obviously) Easy to find on eBay too and in a range of fantastic colours too!

If you really want to spend money though (Being OTC I guess common sense has not been issued yet ;) ) then look at the Highlander Military range. I think the Forces 25 might fit or the Tomahawk Special Ops Pack. Both have internal foam frames so no problems squashing them into a bergen.

I have a Forces 33 that I have bought for fishing and its been pretty bomb proof and comfy. Really well put together and MUCH cheaper than others out there.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Issue NI patrol sack? Cut off the side pouches, bobs your uncle. (Assuming youre trusted with sharp objects obviously) Easy to find on eBay too and in a range of fantastic colours too!
Or just keep the side pouches on. It still fits under the Bergan flap well enough. An all round good day sack, just a bit small for some non-UOTC uses.

Does anyone make a decent yoke for the rocket packs? I don't know whether it's just a crap design or I'm the wrong size, but I find with the issue one the wide part of the straps is too short, meaning that most of the load-bearing is done by the 20mm webbing instead of the thicker strap.