A simple way to upgrade an old laptop

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A mate who a computer/IT boff came round last week to revitalise our increasingly slow laptop - (yes, I know, too much Frankie).

He used CC Cleaner, and Glary Utilities 5 and recommended running both once a week. It took about 4 hours to clean the computer up and he is going to come back and finish it. I know zilch about IT but he used to work for the Feds in the IT surveillance sneaky beaky business and other people have said there's not much he doesn't know about computers.

The laptop is running a lot better by the way.

A mate who a computer/IT boff came round last week to revitalise our increasingly slow laptop - (yes, I know, too much Frankie).

He used CC Cleaner, and Glary Utilities 5 and recommended running both once a week. It took about 4 hours to clean the computer up and he is going to come back and finish it. I know zilch about IT but he used to work for the Feds in the IT surveillance sneaky beaky business and other people have said there's not much he doesn't know about computers.

He's full of sh1t. 10% of the week running utilities on your PC to make it go no faster. You can tell he worked for the government.

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
He's full of sh1t. 10% of the week running utilities on your PC to make it go no faster. You can tell he worked for the government.
On the plus side he charges just south of 60 notes an hour normally. As a mate a bottle of single malt squared the bill.

Ed to add it is running a lot better.

On the plus side he charges just south of 60 notes an hour normally. As a mate a bottle of single malt squared the bill.
Can only hope it was the cheapest Aldi bottle. Seriously these utilities do nothing Windows doesn't do itself or what they do makes no difference.

Charging anyone for running free utilities is a c*nt's trick.

And if it hasn't got an SSD, get one at least 120gb for the OS and it will make a world of difference.

Same with memory, if it's less than 8 gig, worth chucking a bit more in

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
And if it hasn't got an SSD, get one at least 120gb for the OS and it will make a world of difference.

Same with memory, if it's less than 8 gig, worth chucking a bit more in
Cheers. A bit above my head - my 7 year old boy has to show me how to use my telephone. But I'll pass it on to the prof when he staggers around again for an evening of IT mechanics and whiskey.

Obliged.

Pretty much the best way to speed up a pc apart from installing an SSD is to perform a clean install of the operating system. Cooling also effects speed. The thermal paste on the back of the CPU normally wears off in time and needs replaced. This is only possible if your CPU is not soldered onto the motherboard. Adding RAM could help depending on what tasks the laptop is used for and whether or not the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. But you need to decide if upgrading is both worthwhile and cost effective versus buying a new laptop.

...........................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
..............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............

Troy

LE
Here's my little tip. When you change out the hard drive for a SSD, save the old hard drive. You can either put it in a little case/external drive caddy. Or you can just get an adaptor USB lead for it as shown in this picture. You can format the drive and use it as extra storage for whatever you want. These little 2.5 inch drives don't need an extra power supply as the USB port provides enough power for them.
20220529_195940.jpg

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
..............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............

Ah, bless. Almost ASCII. Bit like an almost Banksy.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It should be completely full of characters, to get the full PIC* effect when perused on the punch room wall.

*I make no apology for the 1968** pun.

** Dear me, that was a badly COBOLed together effort.

I assume that FOR TRAN(slation) BASIC is necessary for the newcomers.

Latest Threads