Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pirate4314, Mar 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thankyou for taking the time to read this, does anyone know what an "A/Sgt" is? Apparently an RAF rank, I googled it but could only find it in the "Canadian Provost Corps" = Acting Sergeant
  2. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Acting. Ie not substantive
  3. An 'Acting Sergeant' in the Royal Gurkha Rifles has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross in Afghanistan.

Reports all over today's news and papers.

14 against 1 by all accounts - not nearly enough insurgents to take on a Gurkha. Despite running out of ammunition and having to use the tripod of his machine gun as a club, A/Sgt Pun CGM did not lose his temper and draw his kukri!
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They are reporting on the news that after he ran out of rounds he continued fighting with a 'machine gun' tri-pod. Legend.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so please excuse fat fingers and slips of the keyboard.
  5. Probably worried that he might get into trouble with the pc brigade if he used his kukrhi
  6. An example, to clarify for the OP:

A unit has two Sgt slots filled by Sgt A and Sgt B. Sgt A goes on a long course. A suitably qualified Cpl, Cpl C, is temporarily promoted to fill the gap. He wears the Sgt tapes, gets paid as a Sgt and receives the benefits of the rank. When Sgt A returns, A/Sgt C removes his stripes, drops back to Cpl's pay and can't use the Sgts' Mess.

As I understand it, if Sgt B breaks his leg and gets a medical discharge while A/Sgt C is covering for Sgt A, Cpl D gets promoted to Sgt (not A/Sgt) to fill the vacancy (because it's not temporary). When Sgt A returns, Sgt D stays a Sgt, A/Sgt C reverts to Cpl and isn't happy because he has been leapfrogged on the promotion ladder.
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Or it maybe that Cpl A has passed the promotion board and been posted to a Sgt's slot but for some reason he is not qualified to be a Sgt so is only acting pending getting the relevant qualifications. This may happen because they have not completed the necessary CLM stuff or with officers it sometimes happens when they are promoted before they have the necessary time in previous rank.
  8. I thought that acting ranks for temporary gap-filling were done away with a couple of years ago, and that people who were temporarily doing the job of a higher rank received substitution pay (i.e. the pay of the higher rank) but not the rank.
  9. A/Sgt is 2 grades above C/Sgt, and 18 grades above S/Sgt....simples
  10. And the relationship between BSM and BDSM?
  11. Battery Sgt Major

Batter then Dildo Sgt Major
  12. Did you say his name was Pun? Any relation?
  13. HHH

HHH LE

Do you not need an equity card to be A/Sgt.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Isn't Pun a clan name?
  15. Old thread revival alert:

A/Sgt, if in pseudo RAF terms is the now defunct term for Sgt ATC (Air Training Corps) which is a CFAV rank.

A/Sgt was Adult Sgt. A term that many of them fail to live up to. Mostly filled with people who failed VRT commissioning boards.