A serious question

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by fireboy, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Could somebody please advise me on where I could get my late fathers medals re-ribboned and have his details etched back on them as they are a replacement set.

    I have his parchment so can prove his entitlement, he served on the russian convoys, and later went on to serve in norway and hamburg with the Royal Marines.

    Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. Have you tried the firm that replaced them?
  3. Have a look in the back of Soldier mag - always a few firms advertising.
  4. Thanks,

    didn't know whether the firms could be trusted and just wanted it done right as I am sure you can imagin, any how thanks again
  5. I know WW1 and post WW11 medals have the recipients details on them but I think I've seen somewhere that WW11 ones don't.
  6. What part of the country you in?
  7. For what it's worth, my guv'nor did Atlantic convoys in WW2 and his medals don't have his details on them; I'm sure that they are the originals.
  8. I used Raymond Holditch in London. Rapid turn round and they can engave details as required.
  9. Sorry to hijack the thread mate, but its in a similar vein............

    Does anyone know how i could find out which medals my late grandfather earned in WW2? He served in the RN and his medals were lost before i was born. I want to find out which ones he earned, then buy replicas and get them mounted in a frame for my old dear.


    Apparently you just write to the MOD Medal Office and they send you the info back. :oops:
  10. To answer your question emptyeye, I am in the SouthWest, thanks again for all your hep.
  11. That's correct. My great-grandfather served in WW1 and was called up again to serve in WW2 - he never claimed his WW2 medals out of disgust that they didn't engrave service details on them.

    I've recently tried to claim his WW2 medals from the Defence Medals Office. It's a very simple process, but I had to contact his closest surviving next of kin - DMO will only issue medals or answer queries to closest surviving NOK - if you aren't the closest surviving NOK you just need to get the forms signed by the closest NOK to say that they consent to you claiming them / asking for information.

    You can get all the details here, including the the forms you would need to download to claim medals or ask for info.

    When it comes to medal-mounting / supplying ribbons / framing services, I would thoroughly recommend C & J Medals in Tilehurst. They have done mine and my great-grandfathers through the post after a quick telephone call to confirm prices and details, and done a superb job for very competitive prices.

    Hope this helps.
  12. The medal office will send you replacements out for veterans i had my grandads within 2 months just asked them for them after telling them all his details. very helpful indeed.