A sensible Judge and Jury? You better believe it!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Man who confronted gang cleared

A senior health worker who challenged a gang of anti-social underage drinkers with a stick has been cleared of taking the law into his own hands.

Former army corporal Benjamin Littlewood-Hillsdon saw the youths vault his fence in Weston-super-Mare.

The 34-year-old and his brother-in-law intended only to hold the three 16-year-olds until police arrived.

Bristol Crown Court cleared the men of two counts of causing actual bodily harm and one of causing GBH.

After seeing the youths grappling with his 23-year-old relative, Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon hit out with his stick in self-defence and pulled the teenagers away.

He then called the police but when officers turned up after two hours it was to arrest the pair who found themselves on trial for assaulting the gang.

That left him feeling "let down" by the force, he said.

After the case Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon added: "I feel very relieved and grateful to the jury."

The court heard one of the boys, Joshua Morris, now 17, had lost the sight in one eye after the incident.

The jury were quick to clear the defendants, both of Berkeley Crescent, Uphill, of all blame.

Judge David Ticehurst told the teenager's mother: "He'll get over it - Gordon Brown's only got one eye."

Another of the youths, also 17, who cannot be named, will be sentenced later this year for an attack on a plumber who told a gang to stop urinating in the street.

That attack took place 10 months after the incident involving Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/7506505.stm

2. they should not have been arrested, let alone taken to court!

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Classic :D

4. Someone with sense at last. A good outcome all round yob blind in one eye and judge dismisses case :)

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Police made to look like an arse yet again.

Reeducation of officers required to know/identify what crime is.

6. I think perhaps Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon should face some kind of minor punishment for not hurting the other two chavvy bastards enough.

7. Avon and Somerset Plod in their finest 'Target Chasing' 'Political Correctness' hours Jobs worth Pricks!

8. :D that just made my day :twisted:

9. Actually this is a “who does what” dispute.

The police have realised that if we start enforcing the law, crime will fall dramatically and people will start to ask “who are we giving so much money and power to the police?” So the police are doing everything in their power to prevent us enforcing the law.

10. Brilliant,

Someone make sure that judge gets a beer or a good Scotch, and that he is given a spot on the "Law Lords Bench". This is the sort of response from the Courts that we are after.

Perhaps the blindfold will now fall away from Justices eyes, the scales tilt a little more faveabley to the law abiding and the sword be ever sharp.

Or perhaps the gubment will sack him for doing right.

11. You want to be careful mate. Bliar worked out that, because he had an army, he'd better have a couple of wars otherwise the money would be wasted. Once Gordon's bean-counters find out that we've got a police force/service, who knows what might happen??

12. Totally agree. Another nail in the coffin of the 'big boy did it and ran away' excuses from Bill as to why they can't just go around arresting criminals. It's not the judges who make them fuck up simple public order incidents like this. It's just that they're shite. If the judge can tell that chav bitch of a mum to do one, why not plod?

13. A nice little Sanction Detection for plod concerned, and a nice little waste of taxpayers' money. Boxes get ticked, targets get met, scrotes get a warning and the good guys get off. Marvellous convoluted system we have.

14. None of our resident plods [seems to be a lot of them] defending the indefensible yet.

15. I noticed, shame really as I'm on my third whiskey.