A sensible change in law? Surely not...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TheresaMay, Aug 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

On Sky News this morning, apparently as of today plod will have new powers to issue on the spot fines for tailgaters and middle-lane hoggers; something I feel is well overdue. Previously these offences seemingly went unpunished due to the amount of bureacracy... bure... litigation involved in prosecuting.

Of all the things they've done to the motorist over the years (bus lanes, stupid ASL boxes at traffic lights, speed cameras put in places purely for revenue etc) it appears they've finally looked at what pi$$es us off the most.

Thoughts?

Middle Lane Hogs Face £100 On-The-Spot Fines

2. I agree with the sentiment but fail to see how anyone will be prosecuted without some traffic cops to enforce the strengthened powers.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Oh another new law that was already covered by other laws..

• Like Like x 5
  4. It's not a new law, just that they now can issue a fixed penalty notice rather than take the perp to court.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Can but won't. To issue penalties you need to have someone to do it an I can't remember the last time I saw a cop car on a motorway.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I never said "new law" - I said "change" and "new powers"...?

7. Aye.I went to see my mummy last weekend.I went from East Sussex to mid Wales.Not a sign of plod all the way there or back.

8. If perp accepts the fixed penalty, they could always opt to go to court.

Does anyone recall the "no smoking in company vehicles law?" I've never heard of any prosecutions purely because it is (almost) unenforcable and there is no one to do it.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment re middle lane hogs, I can only view it as another tax.

You would think they (politicians) could find more important things to do, given the current situation the country is in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Same same.

10. Next step innit - just like parking and box junctions, before you know it it will be enforced by camera.

Although I wouldn't put it beyond possibility that 'highways agency traffic officers' will be given PCSO like powers to pull vehicles and hand out tickets!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Excellent! Even more dumbing down of the police, you are probably right. Why pay someone £15 an hour when you can get another to do it for £5?

12. Doubt it, as to my knowledge they are scrapping PCSO's.

13. In other news, mugging, rape offenses, burglary and vicious assaults have dropped to an all time record low thus allowing a huge shift in Police resources to be used against one of the most persistent classes of criminals in the land.........The Motorist!!!

14. Simple answer : Fit all cars with a sat nav / tachometer / telemetry device linked to DVLA . As soon as the device detects the vehicle is simply bimbling along the middle lane , the printer at DVLA issues the fixed penalty notice .This is then posted and texted to drivers phone .This would also work for speeding .
    You could also fit a device under the bonnet that makes the vehicle automatically swerve to the left when it feels an offence is being committed, but this is probably going a step too far .
    On the M11 a lot of offenders appear to be East London mini cab drivers going to and from Stansted .

15. Corrected for you.

• Like Like x 1