A Scanner Darkly

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Chief_Joseph, Jul 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. why does the name sound familiar????

it reminds me of something along the lines of '' through a lens darkly''

i know I've read it somewhere.

but back to the original question....well I dunno, I think it could be good, in the same way sin city was good

edited to add: finally got through to the site itself. looks very good. although it may not flick any switches with pure 'film' enthusiasts, as long as it's a good story I'll happily watch it.

it's nice here on the fence :D :D

2. Its based on a Philip K Dick novel, rave reviews I'll certainly have a look - cannot be as good as Sin City though because of an absence of certain ladies.

3. Jessica and Rosario, give me a minute... uhhh... alright I'm done. Sin City was great imho. Not just as a novelty (because of the visual style), but the characters were great as well. The graphic novels were good also.

This film looks good to me for very different reasons. I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so I already like the characters. I like the "home made silencer" bit they have in the trailer :lol: I hope it's good.

Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder look like they (unsurprisingly) give lackluster performances, but the rest of the cast seems like it will redeem them. I hope it focuses more on the other guys.

4. Keanu is not an actor with any real range (Constantine?) which means the animation process can only help - however his habit of dividing 50% of his fee between the technical and support staff on his films wins him a lot of respect.

5. Agreed, and he seems ok for the role (an out there junky from what I've gathered), mostly though that was directed at Ryder, who's just annoying anyway. Like I said though, it looks like the supporting characters are what will make this one shine.

6. 1 Corinthians: 13, it contains a line that is translated as either "we see as through a mirror darkly" or "For now we see through a glass, darkly," the scanner bit is adapted for the story

A Scanner Darkly is based on the Philip K. Dick book, this wasn't a comic book like Sin City. the reason for the animation was to heighten the visual representaion of drug use, I believe originally it was planned to do a few scenes like that but they ended up making the whole film in such a way.

What I find interesting about this stry is that it was written in the 70's (77-78 ??) about the "War on Drugs" so to speak, where t he government ends up spying on the populus and is laced with conspiracy theory. Substitue Drugs with Terrorism and it brings the story into sharp focus

7. Philip K. Dick was a poet and a prophet. I don't think Hollywood really did justice to his writings with the possible exception of his novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" which was made into the movie Bladerunner.

A Scanner Darkly involved the misadventures of a narcotics detective of the future who was operating undercover and, thus, obliged to preserve his credibility by taking a futuristic mindbending drug.

It was a satirical projection of current US social trends and Dick made it work.

I don't go to many films but I have a high enough regard for Dick that I"ll see this one.

8. You're kidding, right?

Bladerunner was a truly fantastic film, but it had very little to do with the original novel. Empathy (or the lack of it) seems to be the main concept of the book as shown by Mercerism, the electric sheep and various other bits.

Where was the police station filled with robots? Where was the dust, the mood organs? Where was Buster Friendly? Why was Isidore changed from someone with low intelligence to someone with an ageing disorder?

Don't get me started on Minority Report, or We Can Remember It For You Wholesale/Total Recall.

it was never going to be easy to film any of Horselover Fat's work, but this?

3/10 Hollywood. Stay after class.

9. Gingwarr;

You are right. Bladerunner was an interesting film in its own right but only very tenuously connected with the novel. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep was implicitly about the question of what is the distinctively human in human beings.

Total Recall was a typical piece of Hollywood trash: pursuits, explosions, machine guns, Sharon Stone.