• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

A Sad Loss

RIP

Last survivor of 'Christmas truce' tells of his sorrow

Mr Anderson was also the holder of France’s highest honour, the Legion d’Honneur.

Alfred Anderson was 18 at the time. Speaking to The Observer, Anderson has revealed remarkable new details of the day etched on history, including pictures of Christmas gifts sent to the troops.

'I remember the silence, the eerie sound of silence,' he said. 'Only the guards were on duty. We all went outside the farm buildings and just stood listening. And, of course, thinking of people back home. All I'd heard for two months in the trenches was the hissing, cracking and whining of bullets in flight, machinegun fire and distant German voices.

Very sad. There's not many left now - it makes it even more important that we remember them in the years to come, a whole generation's worth of British youth, who sacrificed so much in shocking conditions.

Mr Anderson seemed a complete star when interviewed for the TV programmes in the run up to the recent Armistice Day celebrations.

The nation has lost one of its best.

Sad tidings indeed. I had just recieved a reply from my MP urging her to take the matter of a fitting memorial to these men when this came through. Ive sent her the link. RIP Sir.

Latest Threads