A sad day, the M67 (Puffing Billy) is made absolete as of Dec 11.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Moon_Monkey_Spunk, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We've had the allowance cut backs.
    We've had our Pensions slashed.
    We are booting Pers out with any injury above a blister.

And today, the final straw, they are getting rid of the old Army favourite "The Puffing Billy!"

Quote;

"The equipment has been declared as obsolescent as it is no longer supported in service. The equipment was originally a component of the field kitchen and was recently replaced in-service by the Operational Field Catering System (OFCS). If at any time there is a new operational requirement, a USUR for new equipment should be raised, with ECI Project Team assistance"

Gutted, the letter also states serious saftey issues! Come on, what is better for Moral than young tommy losing half his hair after being told to "light" the billy!

"Puffing Billy" I salute you, after many many years of service and loads of funny Dits that have evolved since your introduction. This Thread is now in honour of your service, all funny "Puffing Billy" related stories here Pse.

2. So will have to visit the barbers in future ?

There was a correct way of lighting them, which involved warming the stack. It was not to turn on the petrol, allow it to drip for a few seconds then drop a piece of lighted paper down the stack shouting fire in the hole.

3. Now that is unfair. Shame.

Leaving the drip feed on all night and then sending the nig off to light it first thing in the morning was the highlight of many a cold morning.

4. It took many weeks for the eyebrows to grow back after a nasty incident on Soltau with the billy. Sad loss, and that hint of Petrol taste in the water as you made your brew will be missed.

5. Goodbye old friend lol!!!!

H&S gone mad!

6. A sad loss

Attached Files:

7. Cookhouse in the factory in Gornji Vakuf took a direct hit form the HVO arty. Total mess, however the line of puffing billy's run by our ethnic pan bashers survived without a scratch, unlike my breakfast......

8. I loved them, being the QMS's shit bird bad boy and having to get up and "fire" them up

No need for alarm clocks as the dull crumph and whoosh as the inexperienced attempted to put the chimney over the roof of an 18 X 24

Washing and shaving with rusty water with a sheen of POL

Hopefully the good news is some will find their dangerous way on to the market so I can live in a yurt in the woodland and still have ghot water to wash under my bell end every couple of weeks.

I wonder if they'll be sold with a free tube of Flamazine

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pah! thats nothing compared to the old No1 (flamethrower) burner.

Even seasoned lighters of the damn thing could loose their eyebrows.

Bloody good heater in the winter though.

Q.

10. So how will troops get hot water for washing etc. in the field now?

11. no don't sell them on the open market think of two orgs who'd think that would be a bargin.
    "you were in the army surely you know how to light it"

12. Speedy,
    The letter states the following;

The equipment has been declared as obsolescent as it is no longer supported in service. The equipment was originally a component of the field kitchen and was recently replaced in-service by the Operational Field Catering System (OFCS). If at any time there is a new operational requirement, a USUR for new equipment should be raised, with ECI Project Team assistance.

Which is of course bollix, how does a troop heat water with an OFCS? Have you seen the size of them!
    So until there is an Op reason for a new type billy we have no replacment.

I can't see this lasting long, they are proven, squaddy proof and perfect for their role. Whatever takes over the eqpt has large shoes to fill!

13. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I miss the M67 alarm clock. it was garenteed to get everyone out of their scratcher at 0500 every morning when on ex.
    I loved the sound it made in the mornings, boooom **** **** ****. Although it could cause some serious damage if the seems weren't facing towards the rear and someone accidently left the tap running all night, prior to the lightee lighting the match.
    Had an officer from Welbeck try and show me how to light one once, he didn't like me laughing at him when it went up.

14. A very very sad day. Fond memories as a Q watching young unsuspecting Q bitches i had lighting those up. Just wait till the old and bold lot read about this (i think there a forum on old and bold spinning a yarn or two on the puffing billy) they will for sure be getting up a petition for "Bring Back Billy"

15. First tour, new in unit, duty bod for all the crap until I got replaced by a new arrival and took my first step up the 'seniority ladder'. Remember day dreaming durring my 'how to' and thinking it'd be a piece of piss. Ah, the young niave little peggy learned alot that first morning.

1) don't let it pour, let it drip
    2) don't, repeat, don't stand over peering down as you drop the lit paper. Took rest of tour to grow back right eyevbrow
    3)'Staff' hates being woken with a bang and his right hook feckin hurts

Good times, glad I'll never have to use one again!