A sad avoidable loss

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kennys-go-nad, Mar 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this has already been posted? As the header. A sad loss.

RIP Sir

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7287564.stm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article895847.ece

2. I know what the official line on parachutists' comms was a few years ago. Use BOWMAN PRR. With that kind of thinking, who needs the Taliban?

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

20 sets of these will cost about half the price of a single MoD chair, even if you doubled the price it's the equivalent of a single fcuking chair for god sake. You couldn't make it up could you. :x

4. Do they not use Cyprus etc? Surely that would have opened his reserve (and cut away his main?)

5. Does the "Queens Gurkha Signal Corps" exist?

6. Could someone explain to a non-jumptrained individual why having a radio would have saved this poor man?

Is the idea that someone would have told him to stop playing with his main and deploy his reserve RTF NOW?

7. I went through U.S. Army Airborne School back in 2000 and we didn't use radios this way. Is this something that the UK does or is this something new? I was always taught that if it didn't open after a count to four pop your reserve.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I don't think it has Corps in its title but the Queens Gurkha Signals do exist. Most are at 30 Signal Regiment these days I believe.

9. I'm jumped trained and I can't. At 2500 ft you've only got 20 odd seconds. Not really enough time for for "Hello 21Echo this is zero, deploy reserve, over". In my day (when hills were much steeper and bergens considerably heavier) there were no radios but, also, no canopy failures in living memory - certainly none that had ended in a death.

Are they, perhaps, talking about deploying a reserve remotely by radio control? We should be told.

10. He was jumping SLS not normal Static line LLP and from what I can understand from the article he had never jumped before so I'm wondering why he was on an advanced military rig when he had not jumped LLP or for that matter from a C 130 before. If training has been cut, as it would appear, then I can understand why the need of two way radios would be of value and why people who know far better then us here, were requesting them.
    At 2.500 if a guy had a problem like end cell closures, high twists ect, there would be time to inform that guy that he has a problem and needs to sort it out before he reached below safe reserve deployment height.
    I know when on two FF course's that I was on, one in Calgary and one on Weston we used two way radios both times, each guy was on a different frequency so there were no confusions between jumpers and unlike military parachuting, you don't have equipment added into the equation of things to think about during the jump.

Guardian3A what rig were you jumping?

11. More blood on the MODS hands. This disgusts me when will goberment start waking up?

12. More today, now with contradiction between PTS instructors :?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7291994.stm

13. T-10 Charlie out of C-130s and C-141s. I never jumped a C-17.

14. I can't see any point to having a radio when you're jumping at 800 or 1000 feet. If you have a problem such as the one this chap had you aren't going to a/ hear b/ listen to advice from something squawking in your ear, unless the method has improved considerably in recent years. You don't have the time or inclination to do anything except try to sort out the problem using your own wits. If you're above that height you might have time, but the radio would have to be bloody loud.

(Edit: ok, just read later posts; Lesson: read first...)

15. Based only on the articles in the links posted (ie I haven't seen the BoI):

'He opened his reserve parachute too late in to the 2,500 ft (762m) jump.....Eye witnesses reported seeing Capt Wright, of the Queen's Gurkha Signal Corps, trying to control his main parachute by using the steering lines during the jump on 17 November 2005, his first day of training with the SAS.
    He eventually managed to open his reserve chute but it was too late to save him.'

and:

'An MoD board of inquiry found Capt Wright's death was not caused by procedural and training failures, but could not explain why his main parachute became stuck or why the officer had not acted more quickly to open his reserve.'

Perhaps his main was a bag of washing (not being flippant, I just can't remember the technical term for this) and he fought with it instead of immediately deploying his reserve.

If this is correct, might the argument be that if he had a radio, a PJI may have had the chance to transmit: 'stop fighting the main, cut away and deploy reserve'. (I suspect these would not be the actual words used, but you know what I mean!)

Not saying a radio would have saved his life, just speculating as to why the issue of radios arose.