A (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry) Squadron Swindon question

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Hairy_Hacker, Sep 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My eldest wishes to have a look at joining the TA- A Sqn is the closest to us. I've checked out the website and tried calling (so far to no avail).

Is there anybody out there with some info? Their drill night is tomorrow so was hoping to make sure there is someone there so he doesn't waste his time showing up and finding people too busy to deal with an interested (potential) recruit.

On a personal note are the TA bars still cheap, if so I may be required to go along to watch over him.
  2. Hi mate,
    Can't say anything about the unit your lad is looking at, but suggest you go down, drop him off and let him have a chat with the recruiting team there.
    It is always a good indication of a potential recruit when they turn up with a parent and they are too shy to ask any questions.
    Great that you are looking after him as I know lots of parents these days are not arrsed what their kids get up to but just let him do the work of finding out.
    Get him a password on here and do some trawling himself for info.

Whatever he decides good luck to him, I have two lads and one day I will be be dropping them off at the gate and letting them get on with it (thats if they want to that is).

3. I know a couple of guys at C Sqn in Cirencester and they seem to be a good bunch, if A are the same then your lad will be fine. On a bad note I have been told that they rarely, if ever get their hands on Challenger 2's, and not nearly enough time at Bovington doing range work. Most of their training consists of driving rovers about pretending to be tanks, it all seems a bit "Dad's Army" to me.......

4. Baby steps - if he wants to go green then it's up to him. I won't push, but it's not a step to be taken lightly.

I've never made a big deal about being a soldier - until recently he was looking into the Fire Service. But if he does want to join up then I'd like to help.

Never really had anything 'in common' before so a spot of male bonding over this. Watch as he turns up once and jacks it in :roll:

Expect the worst and hope for the best and all that :)
  5. Hi this is the wanna be TA, hairy hackers son, so yea, any advice?

6. Would suggest giving them a call during the day as dont think it manned 24x7, especially where its located in Swindon itself.....
  7. No answer to phone calls.
    No answer to email.
    Went around to their drill night (tonight). Guess?

I took my boy and his mate - neither are impressed and I'm frankly disgusted. Fecking huge billboard 10 ft hight proclaiming "Join the TA here" on the front.

Yeah, right.

Who do I shoot a rocket up?

From their website "The Squadron parades in Swindon between 19:30 and 21:30 on Wednesday nights. No appointment is necessary, and our doors are open to visitors - so why not join us for a look round and a drink in the Squadron bar? "

There was definitely someone in the building though. :x
  8. msr

msr LE

Are they on camp?

9. I have no idea to be honest, surely some note on their website to that effect would not go amiss? An 'out of office' reply to emails? A recorded message on their contact telephone number?

Irregardless, and my time in the TA was a good few years ago, but no TA centre is unmanned surely? Even if it was just some cleaner that was there (and not a member of the squadron) surely the courtesy of telling us as we stood outside that we were wasting our time would not have gone amiss?

First impressions and all that, but they are still keen.
  10. msr

msr LE

This situation is unacceptable. There is a reason why we are 6,000 people short.

11. Go across the road to the 7 Rifles Inf platoon. They will definitely be around on a Tuesday night 1930-2130. There are some good eggs up there.
  12. Oh I agree, I looked at joining the TA a couple of years ago. After being bounced from camp to camp (this was Corsham) I finally got to where I needed to be (the very place I arrived first - as per instructions) I got to the brief run by a very keen and professional bunch. Just a symptom of modern gate guards I thought. I've read about it on ARRSE so hey, I was forewarned.

After the brief and a successful round of interviews they seemd keen to take me on strength. Unfortunately they had run out of forms (there were more of us than anticipated before you start :) ).So off I toddled home with the reassurance the forms would be in the post. After a couple of days I phoned asking about the forms and again was told they'd be sent. This was repeated twice more. Finally about a week later I got some forms asking details such as waist size etc as apparently uniforms are ordered in instead of being kept in the stores now. But none of the joining forms from the first brief.

Finally about a month later I got a phone call asking if I was joining - I pointed out that their admin - or lack of, had put me off. So all in all I maybe should have known better. I will still do all I can to help my lad but this does not bode well.
  13. msr

msr LE

“…ECAB’s highest priority after operations is manning – covering all aspects of retention as well as recruiting. The Adjutant General is putting together a very comprehensive People Programme which will look to fund specific activities that will improve the quality of life for when we are not on operations…”

perhaps you would like to give the top dog a call...

14. I don't want to bring down a shitstorm on them. I'm just saddened, surprised and disappointed for my boy and his mate. I can hardly slag off the sqn - I haven't met any of them yet!

Could be a good reason. I cannot imagine what but until I find out I'll hold back on fully venting my spleen.

They may well get to see the sqn and decide it's not for them or vice versa. But this is piss-poor admin whichever way you cut it.

wg100: Tell me more about 7 Rifles Inf platoon?
  15. msr

msr LE

I would. Unless they are on camp, there is no other excuse I would accept.