• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

A rotary-wing A400M, anyone?

Whats the matter with the MiL-26 HALO, that bugger can already carry as much as a C-130 Herc and it's been around for decades?

I read an articall saying that the French where in disussing building the MI-26T under license for the Europian heavy liht helecopter and had one on trials at Istres in 2007

MI- 26 lifts about 20t which is a bit less than what they are taking about here. My only question is what are we supposed to use them for?

Is there any doctrine that suggests that we need this lift capability? I don't know of any.

Is this just another crap buy to suit someone else's needs?

in_the_cheapseats said:
MI- 26 lifts about 20t which is a bit less than what they are taking about here. My only question is what are we supposed to use them for?

Is there any doctrine that suggests that we need this lift capability? I don't know of any.

Well they are testing two MI-8s at Boscomb Down

tropper66 said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

So what?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
This is a matter of simple mathematics that it doesn't make sense to have a European development only for 100 helicopters,"
Don't fukcing well build it then. If you can't even get an AT (A400) project right then I don't fancy their chances.

in_the_cheapseats said:

Yes but using this old ariframe as a starting point, you just have to either stretch or widen it and put some nice new shinny powerful engines in and I'm sure they will be be able to match the load requirements pretty easily. The Russians have far more experience with REAL heavy lift helo's than the West does, Chinooks and Stallions are simply not in the same ball park as the Halo.

Hoochie said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

Yes but using this old ariframe as a starting point, you just have to either stretch or widen it and put some nice new shinny powerful engines in and I'm sure they will be be able to match the load requirements pretty easily. The Russians have far more experience with REAL heavy lift helo's than the West does, Chinooks and Stallions are simply not in the same ball park as the Halo.
Stop thinking about shiny things and spending lots of money and go back to base requirement.

I ask again - to what purpose would we be spending money on this capability? What doctrine or highlighted capability gap does this requirement spring from?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't see what the frogs or krauts would want with it for either....

When something that lifts a few tonnes costs more than £10 million quid (NH90, EH101 for instance) I dread to think what this beastie would come in at.

in_the_cheapseats said:
Hoochie said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

Stop thinking about shiny things and spending lots of money and go back to base requirement.

I ask again - to what purpose would we be spending money on this capability? What doctrine or highlighted capability gap does this requirement spring from?
Point taken, in the real world it would be nice to have something VTOL that could lift as much as a Fat Albert. However size vs cost/necessity will porbably make it a moot point anyway. Also owt bigger than a HALO would certainly be a heavy MG or MANPAD magnet out in the sandy place when dropping to land - it would be harder to miss it!

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
The Ruskies lost one in Chechnya, I think the death toll was something like 170 blokes.

Just in case you wanted any other reasons not to want the bloody things....

Flight said:
The Ruskies lost one in Chechnya, I think the death toll was something like 170 blokes.

127 killed but 20 survived, August 19, 2002.

Hell of a lot of casualties, but it was well overloaded when hit by an Igla SAM

Odo

Flight said:

That kind of logic would mean never flying in an Airbus or Boeing again either, since they sometimes crash too.... :?

tropper66 said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

The Empire Test Pilot School have 2 ex Bulgarian Mil 17 Hips.

REMEbrat said:
tropper66 said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

Well he was almost right, to the average spotter they look to be one and the same type. The 17 HIP's have improved avionics, improved engines (more reliable/better range) and the tail rotor moved to the opposite side of the tail as the engines turn the main rotor the other way now. But at a glance flying in the sky they still look like the venerable old MiL-8.

Hoochie said:
REMEbrat said:
tropper66 said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

Well he was almost right, to the average spotter they look to be one and the same type. The 17 HIP's have improved avionics, improved engines (more reliable/better range) and the tail rotor moved to the opposite side of the tail as the engines turn the main rotor the other way now. But at a glance flying in the sky they still look like the venerable old MiL-8.
just saying what it said on the box

Attachments

Latest Threads