A Resurgence Of Patriotism?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Legs, Jun 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What with the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, Trooping the Colour, the Olympics (whatever we think of the waste of money it is), we have seen a huge number of Union Flags being flown left, right and centre. Red, white and blue bunting bedecking our streets, and a celebration of all things British everywhere.

Is it now fashionable to be proud to be British again?
  2. For most here I should imagine it never went away. But yes, you would appear to be right.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The patriotism has always been there, but being British we don't usually say much about it until we're either riled up or enthused into showing it.
    We've even let the Saint George's Flag be hijacked by political parties so that says a lot. Something I would like to see made illegal to be honest as our flag should not be 'for sale' under any circumstances.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well how can I buy one to fly then?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's a real problem that. I'd have to knit myself a Union Flag.
  6. It has never been un-fashionable for me, I have always been proud to be British!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Since a nipper many moons ago I have always been Patriotic and always will.....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Never went away with me. But with the recent events and having a fibreglass flagpole spare, it finally came time to instill it to my 8yr old son, who now proudly flies the Union Flag from the pole attached to his wooden fort/clambing frame thingy, after been given a stern lecture on its meaning, correct way to fly etc.

Was miffed on the Jubilee day that met plod let some tosser with a telescopic pole get right up to the gates of BP with his flag upside down. Would have thought someone could have had a quiet word and a quick slap of the fella
  9. I consider myself a patriot, a monarchist and pretty much a unionist - but I don't feel the need to tell folk, wrap myself in the Union Flag, keep a picture of HMG above the mantelpiece. I mean, it's not as if I was an American ......
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Cameron should have called Salmond's bluff and offered up a referendum on Scottish independance sharpish
    Slammed it straighht in the middle of this lot and offered it to everyone "Do you want to break up the UK" .- simple - yes or no.
    Would have won hands down and finished the debate for good.
  11. Absolutely agree, it could have taken down the SNP in one swell swoop.

12. Depends if your in England or not, it's even more devisive in certain corners of the UK, even down to calling it a Union Jack, a couple of years ago some smart arse pointed out that a Union Jack is the name given when hanging off a ship, all of a sudden it became a flag (wiping out centuries of tradition) in the name of fashion.
    And that is kind of the point, the Union Jack is "en vouge" at the moment, it'll be all over by Autumn, enjoy it while it lasts.
  13. I've always seen British patriotism as a sleeping giant, always there slumbering away, ready to be roused into action if anyone truly takes the piss.
  14. You know what I meant, you mischievious gun handling type person you, sitting there all smug, drinking the last of the sloe gin ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Being British unfashionable? My lot have been painting everything red white and blue and burning out blow ins in the name of being Loyal to Lizzie ever since I can remember.
    • Like Like x 1