A replacement for Adobe Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by in_the_cheapseats, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Guys,

Firstly, I'm cheap and have been using for the last couple of years the Adobe Photoshop Album starter pack which came free with the last two beasts I have bought.

It is v good, does what I want, has a nice time line which tells you when the photos were taken and that is enough for me.

I've just had the "now need to register product message" which I tried to do to, to be told the product wasn't in existance anymore and I would have to buy something new.

Great drive to get me onto their Photoshop. Fair do ....but as I said I am cheap :)

Does anyone have a suitable alternative that they use that I might also have a look at or another sensible suggestion of a marketed product?

Yours Aye

ITC

2. msr

msr LE

3. paint.net all the way

4. www.gimp.org/

is free and legal but you will have to learn how to use it again.

Just download photoshop from
    http://sharereactor.com/

is free and illegal but I like being a pirate so shiver me timbers.

5. IrfanView is pretty good and easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Gimp is fine if you want to just do the basics.

But it's a pain in the proverbial to learn if you want to do flashy editing.

I use it at work (I produce documentation for a major software company) but frankly I just use it as am image capture tool. I put all the annotation, etc on using Microsoft Visio.

However, if you want to put the time in learning it - and you don't mind getting incredibly frustrated when the documentation is less than helpful, than you can do a lot with Gimp. Its certainaly as good as (if not better) that a lot of the other Freeware.

Wordsmith.