A replacement for Adobe Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by in_the_cheapseats, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Firstly, I'm cheap and have been using for the last couple of years the Adobe Photoshop Album starter pack which came free with the last two beasts I have bought.

It is v good, does what I want, has a nice time line which tells you when the photos were taken and that is enough for me.

I've just had the "now need to register product message" which I tried to do to, to be told the product wasn't in existance anymore and I would have to buy something new.

Great drive to get me onto their Photoshop. Fair do ....but as I said I am cheap :)

Does anyone have a suitable alternative that they use that I might also have a look at or another sensible suggestion of a marketed product?

Yours Aye

2. msr

msr LE

3. paint.net all the way
  4. www.gimp.org/

is free and legal but you will have to learn how to use it again.

Just download photoshop from

is free and illegal but I like being a pirate so shiver me timbers.
  5. IrfanView is pretty good and easy to use.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Gimp is fine if you want to just do the basics.

But it's a pain in the proverbial to learn if you want to do flashy editing.

I use it at work (I produce documentation for a major software company) but frankly I just use it as am image capture tool. I put all the annotation, etc on using Microsoft Visio.

However, if you want to put the time in learning it - and you don't mind getting incredibly frustrated when the documentation is less than helpful, than you can do a lot with Gimp. Its certainaly as good as (if not better) that a lot of the other Freeware.