A regular army officer offended by my comments about "Bowman"

A quiet beer tonight in a bar, but a regular officer decided to question me about my knowledge of being an Infantry soldier, now obviously I'm no pro with just a few years of being s STAB before medical discharge but I did decide to query him on "Bowman", he queried me and I did disclose I was mainly used to Clansman as it was our regular training aid, he didn't seem to have heard of "Morpheous", which as I've read is due to replace the Bowman system entirely, he is a regular RA officer (Captain I'm guessing) and when he queried I disclosed on the documantaries I watched "Our War" (the 2 part season serial) and the episode concerning the incident regarding Lt. Evison of the Welsh Guards, now I'm no expert but when I discussed with him they seemed to be using a satellite system as part of their system for the "Fire Support Team" which must have been a regular pair of RA JNCSO attached to the Welsh Guards platoon as their rank was Lance Bombadier, he seemed to think I didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and he queried about the documentary, and when I came back with the difficulty the FST came back with with using Bowman to call in a MERT with the correct sized helicopter when Lt. Evison was wounded he seemed to get upset with the whole "I've known people who have died", and decided to storm off...

Maybe I don't have a clue but who knows, a 5-year officer, he queried me on where I'd served, I haven't, but in particular any ops in the previous 5 years he may have done?

I'm very surprised a 5 year comissioned officer hasn't ever heard of the impending comms system which is well publicised and when he asked me about what the difficulties the Bowman system had with communicated with their HQ due to interferance. than again what do I know?

No he was a regular officer. Seemed to be interested in my limited background which I openly disclosed so obviously he must have been an expert.

I was surprised he was actually not aware of the new system which is being actively discussed on open source media such as the MOD news, he didn't have a clue... or maybe he didn't care.

Because new upcoming systems aren't of concern to the Royal Artillery.

You can tell the precious little Gunner that more important men than him have slagged off the Bowman system. I rather think a certain serving Major General with a DSO slated it whilst a CO on Herrick.
He said Bowman stood for 'Better off with a mobile and Nokia!
The description of the Comms dramas with the Welsh Guards in 'Dead men rising' certainly didn't instil confidence in its operability.

They put a Bowman out quickly, too quick for RSigs operators to know how to use it properly, and for the operators to field test it to its maximum capability. As part of a huge cost cutting exercise all operator trades had been hacked down and merged together, and all their respective trade training was reduced massively. This was because and I do quote Dave Kxxg of Blandford (whose last comms experience was Larkspur) “they’ll receive more in depth training in their units”.
I questioned this on my Class 1 Systems course, when he told us the trades were merging, I also questioned it on my Bowman conversion and when I was posted there. “ Who is going to train them? The op tour tempo is now that high, no one has time to train them properly, which is why Blandford should be doing it”. Always came back with the same answer “ it’ll get done in their units” He just wouldn’t register the fact that “no it won’t “.
If you merge trades and butcher trade training to make a multi role operator, you’re going to need a supervisor for those operators. Quickly rush through woefully inadequate operators who had zero knowledge of Ptarmigan or Clansman, and they suddenly become “Bowman Yeoman”, Hooray! I hear you say, No I reply.
For 3 years, yes 3 years, they couldn’t get HF to work properly on Herrick. “HF is shit, it’s not fit for purpose, we can only get limited ranges on it, we have to have Tacsat” “Yes, you’re right, here’s loads of tacsat”.
It took 3 years for them to realise that butchering a 25 ohm bootlace coax to fit the 50 ohm HF antenna and radio, reduced the range capabilities of the equipment. All because they didn’t want to use bigger coaxes. It doesn’t take the brains of a scientist to work out that pushing a 50 ohm signal down 25 ohm coax is going to reduce the range.
The ineptitude and criminal negligence went from the Course Coordinators all the way to the battlefield, which inevitably cost lives.
The Bowman which they should have bought which was multi role multi frequency all singing and dancing, what they bought was shite, they didn’t want one radio because they didn’t want to risk operator error, and they were still fielding 3-6 person detachments, they could have reduced it to 2

Last edited:
A quiet beer tonight in a bar, but a regular officer decided to question me about my knowledge of being an Infantry soldier, now obviously I'm no pro with just a few years of being s STAB before medical discharge but I did decide to query him on "Bowman", he queried me and I did disclose I was mainly used to Clansman as it was our regular training aid, he didn't seem to have heard of "Morpheous", which as I've read is due to replace the Bowman system entirely, he is a regular RA officer (Captain I'm guessing) and when he queried I disclosed on the documantaries I watched "Our War" (the 2 part season serial) and the episode concerning the incident regarding Lt. Evison of the Welsh Guards, now I'm no expert but when I discussed with him they seemed to be using a satellite system as part of their system for the "Fire Support Team" which must have been a regular pair of RA JNCSO attached to the Welsh Guards platoon as their rank was Lance Bombadier, he seemed to think I didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and he queried about the documentary, and when I came back with the difficulty the FST came back with with using Bowman to call in a MERT with the correct sized helicopter when Lt. Evison was wounded he seemed to get upset with the whole "I've known people who have died", and decided to storm off...

Maybe I don't have a clue but who knows, a 5-year officer, he queried me on where I'd served, I haven't, but in particular any ops in the previous 5 years he may have done?

I'm very surprised a 5 year comissioned officer hasn't ever heard of the impending comms system which is well publicised and when he asked me about what the difficulties the Bowman system had with communicated with their HQ due to interferance. than again what do I know?
Who cares, the guy was either a walt or a nob. Why bother which, you aren't serving anymore so unless he tries to start a fight in the pub it's all irrelevant.

Dread

LE
You can tell the precious little Gunner that more important men than him have slagged off the Bowman system. I rather think a certain serving Major General with a DSO slated it whilst a CO on Herrick.
He said Bowman stood for 'Better off with a mobile and Nokia!
The description of the Comms dramas with the Welsh Guards in 'Dead men rising' certainly didn't instil confidence in its operability.
The quote is "better off with map and Nokia". First time I heard it was from DInf at Warminster who stated that the radio system was accepted into service for political reasons (then a Brig, later a 2* General) back in 2004. That same General was my boss in Kosovo: a very decent chap, albeit with a habit of stuttering if asked to repeat something.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
"which must have been a regular pair of RA JNCSO attached to the Welsh Guards platoon as their rank was Lance Bombadier" this had me scratching my head a bit; Lance bombardier is an RA rank - Lance Corporal anywhere else (stand fast the funny horsemen), they don't have to be attached to the Woodentops to be Lance Bombardiers.

Toppet

Old-Salt

You are dull as fűck.

Unless he's been back to Shriv on ICSC (and other courses that I can't remember) he won't have been exposed to Morpheus. Regimental life is probably all he knows. Or he has been exposed and dismissed is as "scaled shit". It's that far away that it's not worth worrying about...I think.

For 3 years, yes 3 years, they couldn’t get HF to work properly on Herrick. “HF is shit, it’s not fit for purpose, we can only get limited ranges on it, we have to have Tacsat” “Yes, you’re right, here’s loads of tacsat”.
It took 3 years for them to realise that butchering a 25 ohm bootlace coax to fit the 50 ohm HF antenna and radio, reduced the range capabilities of the equipment. All because they didn’t want to use bigger coaxes. It doesn’t take the brains of a scientist to work out that pushing a 50 ohm signal down 25 ohm coax is going to reduce the range.
Wow, there is absolutely no excuse for that. Surely the fault sat with the vehicle integration team not Blandford?
The Bowman which they should have bought which was multi role multi frequency all singing and dancing, what they bought was shite, they didn’t want one radio because they didn’t want to risk operator error, and they were still fielding 3-6 person detachments, they could have reduced it to 2
...which the Corps would have taken as a saving, in a similar way that RAF got rid of Harrier instead or Tornado, and the reason why we aren't moving to a single Foreman any time soon.

He stormed off to throw up in disgust at you wearing Silver shadow trainers and green issue socks.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
You should have beaten him at shove hapenny and then speared him to death on the pool table with the pointy end of the cue....

Latest Threads