Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A real turkey?

Teeblerone

War Hero
Good question.
I never really liked turkey, though it's good for the 'show' and relatively large amount of meat.
If I were a turkey farmer, I'd be pushing for a campaign of 'escape into a normal Xmas dinner' and smaller birds.
Or sticking with big 'uns, encouraging restaurants & pubs to sell takeaway/delivery dinners.
And trying to get a shed-loads of turkey-based meals into supermarkets (too late for develop them for this year?).

Teeblerone

War Hero
I suspect they'll struggle to compete with cheap (foreign) chicken as used now, though.
How much of profit from a turkey comes from the 'gotta have it for xmas' factor, I wonder?

Mattb

LE
Good question.
I never really liked turkey, though it's good for the 'show' and relatively large amount of meat.
If I were a turkey farmer, I'd be pushing for a campaign of 'escape into a normal Xmas dinner' and smaller birds.
Or sticking with big 'uns, encouraging restaurants & pubs to sell takeaway/delivery dinners.
And trying to get a shed-loads of turkey-based meals into supermarkets (too late for develop them for this year?).
One TV chef (think it was Gordon Ramsay, not 100% sure) said that the key to decent turkey was a very long rest - he advocated resting the bird for the same length of time as it's been cooked. I'l give it a go if I roast a turkey again.

One TV chef (think it was Gordon Ramsay, not 100% sure) said that the key to decent turkey was a very long rest - he advocated resting the bird for the same length of time as it's been cooked. I'l give it a go if I roast a turkey again.

Resting the bird in the oven with it turned off, or outside the oven so it's stone cold when you eat it?

On the plus side, sales of The Devil's Turds, AKA sprouts will hopefully be way down.

Not so dear boy, up here in this neck of the woods, a local farmer is on the front page of the local rag, says his sprout crop is the best he has ever had, and he is looking to a bumper harvest, as are all farmers up here in middle England,........................ read it and weep!

Mattb

LE
Resting the bird in the oven with it turned off, or outside the oven so it's stone cold when you eat it?
Outside (served on warm plates with hot gravy, it should be fine).

Not so dear boy, up here in this neck of the woods, a local farmer is on the front page of the local rag, says his sprout crop is the best he has ever had, and he is looking to a bumper harvest, as are all farmers up here in middle England,........................ read it and weep!
They might have had a bumper harvest but no one with any taste or decency would eat them. Sell them to the French I say.

Outside (served on warm plates with hot gravy, it should be fine).
But not as OK as a nice bit of sirloin steak.

Good question.
there was a TF on R4 farming today last week he adjusted the number of young birds he took to 70% this year, he planned so many to be full grown to sell as turkey breast foe small familys who wanted it easy, and smaller birds for a family on its own, his reasoning that there would be no large gatheringsthis year due to covid.
he made this decision in March !! ffs,more idea that hmg and sage i reckon.

Snowy.

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm in Turkey now, Marmaris. I heard we gotta quarantine when we come back ffs over the bloody flu... We flew here on Wednesday for 2 weeks because of this safe corridor crap, wouldn't have come here otherwise.... Should have just gone to Tenerife like we normally do this time of year..

Published by: MENEKSE TOKYAY, ARAB NEWS, on 25 November 2020.

Political cracks in Turkish government deepen in nationalist’s favor.

ANKARA: Senior Turkish officials close to the presidency have criticized decisions by the ruling AKP party amid the growing power of two breakaway parties, DEVA and Future.

On Tuesday, Bulent Arinc, Presidential High Advisory Board member and former deputy prime minister, resigned following a dispute with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan over recent remarks in which Arinc criticized the imprisonment of Kurdish politician Selahattin Demirtas and prominent businessperson and dissident civil society figure Osman Kavala.

“Turkey’s judiciary, economy and other areas evidently need reforms. There is a need for our country to relax and to find a solution to our nation’s troubles. I decided that it would be more appropriate for me to leave my position as a member of the High Advisory Board,” he said on Twitter.

The move followed the resignation of Berat Albayrak, the finance minister and son-in-law of Erdogan, this time with a bombshell Instagram post on Sunday night.

In a televised interview on Nov. 20, just days after Erdogan pledged a new reform wave for Turkey’s judiciary, Arinc defended the releases of Kavala and Demirtas. His suggestion was harshly criticized by Erdogan, whose remarks “offended” Arinc.

Demirtas, former co-chair of the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party, was jailed in November 2016 over allegations of supporting terrorism. He faces up to 142 years in jail despite an immediate release plea by the European Court of Human Rights.

Saying that the “arrest should not be turned into a punishment,” Arinc also urged people to read Demirtas’ storybook “Devran,” authored in jail “to understand the Kurds and their suffering.”

Kavala has been imprisoned since 2017 although he was never convicted of a crime.

“Arinc will go down as another big name within the AKP being pushed aside by a more irrational guard within the party that is more interested in rousing its small but vocal army of trolls, than it is listening to criticism within the party,” Louis Fishman, a Turkey expert from Brooklyn College, told Arab News.

“For Erdogan, this move could undermine his call for judicial reforms, motivated by his wish to fix the state’s image abroad,” he added.

However, there are several rumors about cracks within the People’s Alliance, formed between the AKP and Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), although MHP leader Devlet Bahceli dismissed them on Tuesday.

“Cowards, plotters and swindlers are targeting the People’s Alliance,” he said. The latest remarks by Arinc, an AKP co-founder, are said to have angered Bahceli, who flexed his muscles following the comments and pushed his ouster.

The recent operation against 101 Kurdish lawyers and activists in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir were reportedly conducted to please the alliance with the nationalistic party.

Fishman said that Arinc’s resignation will have sent a strong message to Europe and the incoming Biden administration in the US that Turkey is “not really ready” to take serious steps in judicial reform.

“The AKP is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s hard to imagine that reforms can actually strengthen its weakening status, and thus it runs the risk of losing its MHP support. However, without the reforms, it also faces continued strife within the international realm. We will need to wait and see what path it takes in the near future,” he said.

Berk Esen, a political scientist from Sabanci University in Istanbul, said the ruling alliance has been hit hard by the economic crisis that recently worsened following the COVID-19 outbreak in Turkey.

“The super-presidential system, which was introduced in 2018, has only worsened Turkey’s governance record in domestic politics and the international arena. Faced with economic troubles, the government does not have sufficient resources to address growing popular unrest, especially in major urban centers,” he told Arab News.

Esen said that Joe Biden’s recent election win added to Erdogan’s fear that his government could soon come under growing international pressure.

“Therefore, he may have been compelled to take some cosmetic measures to appease Turkey’s former allies by taking half steps, such as releasing Kavala and Demirtas. This turn away from the party’s nationalist course was also arguably supported by former AKP heavyweights like Arinc,” he said.

But the honeymoon didn’t continue for too long due to backlash coming from the MHP.

In his speech to the parliamentary group on Wednesday, Erdogan said that “the ruling AK Party’s coalition with the ultranationalist MHP was drawn with blood during the July 15 coup attempt against the putschists.”

Refuting the criticism voiced by Arinc and extending an olive branch to nationalistic sensitivities, Erdogan also said “there is no longer a Kurdish question in Turkey” and “Demirtas is a terrorist whose hands are covered by blood.”

Erdogan also called on the judiciary to act against those who asked for the releases of Demirtas and Kavala, because the demands “violate the constitution’s article 138, which bans issuing orders to the courts.”

According to Esen, the political crisis has weakened Erdogan’s hold on power.

“It increased his dependence on MHP leader Bahceli, who remains a key actor in the ruling coalition and provides Erdogan with nationalist ammunition to deal with opponents,” he added.

1606404289934.png

[Photo: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan greets members of his ruling AKP during a meeting at the parliament in Ankara, Turkey, November 25, 2020. (Reuters)].

Enough of this sproutophobia please.

You have to have them and that's the law, so just get them down and stop whining or there's no pudding for you.
Sprout-nazi.

And what comes after Thanksgiving?

'As of 8:00 a.m. ET on Thursday, the unofficial COVID-19 toll in the U.S. reached 13,925,990 cases and 273,847 deaths, increases of 197,837 and 3,156 since this time yesterday. That daily death count is the highest ever since the pandemic began.

'As well, more than 100,000 Americans are hospitalized with COVID -- another first.'
(COVID Tracking Project)

Latest Threads