Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A real turkey?

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Good question.
I never really liked turkey, though it's good for the 'show' and relatively large amount of meat.
If I were a turkey farmer, I'd be pushing for a campaign of 'escape into a normal Xmas dinner' and smaller birds.
Or sticking with big 'uns, encouraging restaurants & pubs to sell takeaway/delivery dinners.
And trying to get a shed-loads of turkey-based meals into supermarkets (too late for develop them for this year?).

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I suspect they'll struggle to compete with cheap (foreign) chicken as used now, though.
How much of profit from a turkey comes from the 'gotta have it for xmas' factor, I wonder?

Mattb

LE
Good question.
I never really liked turkey, though it's good for the 'show' and relatively large amount of meat.
If I were a turkey farmer, I'd be pushing for a campaign of 'escape into a normal Xmas dinner' and smaller birds.
Or sticking with big 'uns, encouraging restaurants & pubs to sell takeaway/delivery dinners.
And trying to get a shed-loads of turkey-based meals into supermarkets (too late for develop them for this year?).
One TV chef (think it was Gordon Ramsay, not 100% sure) said that the key to decent turkey was a very long rest - he advocated resting the bird for the same length of time as it's been cooked. I'l give it a go if I roast a turkey again.

One TV chef (think it was Gordon Ramsay, not 100% sure) said that the key to decent turkey was a very long rest - he advocated resting the bird for the same length of time as it's been cooked. I'l give it a go if I roast a turkey again.

Resting the bird in the oven with it turned off, or outside the oven so it's stone cold when you eat it?

On the plus side, sales of The Devil's Turds, AKA sprouts will hopefully be way down.

Not so dear boy, up here in this neck of the woods, a local farmer is on the front page of the local rag, says his sprout crop is the best he has ever had, and he is looking to a bumper harvest, as are all farmers up here in middle England,........................ read it and weep!

Mattb

LE
Resting the bird in the oven with it turned off, or outside the oven so it's stone cold when you eat it?
Outside (served on warm plates with hot gravy, it should be fine).

Not so dear boy, up here in this neck of the woods, a local farmer is on the front page of the local rag, says his sprout crop is the best he has ever had, and he is looking to a bumper harvest, as are all farmers up here in middle England,........................ read it and weep!
They might have had a bumper harvest but no one with any taste or decency would eat them. Sell them to the French I say.

Outside (served on warm plates with hot gravy, it should be fine).
But not as OK as a nice bit of sirloin steak.

Good question.
there was a TF on R4 farming today last week he adjusted the number of young birds he took to 70% this year, he planned so many to be full grown to sell as turkey breast foe small familys who wanted it easy, and smaller birds for a family on its own, his reasoning that there would be no large gatheringsthis year due to covid.
he made this decision in March !! ffs,more idea that hmg and sage i reckon.

Snowy.

Clanker
I'm in Turkey now, Marmaris. I heard we gotta quarantine when we come back ffs over the bloody flu... We flew here on Wednesday for 2 weeks because of this safe corridor crap, wouldn't have come here otherwise.... Should have just gone to Tenerife like we normally do this time of year..

Latest Threads