A real hero.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fltpilot, Feb 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. History of WWII hero unlocked from inside picnic basket revealing he was one of founding members of SAS.
    Captain Cecil Leyland Riding MC never spoke of his wartime escapades.
    The basket was filled with medals, maps, memoirs and photographs.
    The soldier parachuted into Nazi-occupied France just after D-Day, 1944.
    The collection has been given to the Dumfries Museum and turned into a major exhibition.

History of WWII hero unlocked from inside picnic basket revealing he was one of founding members of SAS | Mail Online

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fascinating post and link ... I wonder if this Code Book , pictured in the link ...

WW2 Code.jpg

... could provide an answer to this ... http://www.arrse.co.uk/naafi-bar/189797-who-can-crack-d-day-code.html (Edited to add ) .... as , according to the article , he too was dropped into France with a pigeon strapped to his chest and both examples of code use groups of four letters .

3. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

I don't understand how he could be one of the founding members if he doesn't have an Africa Star ?

Poor journalism ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I had a quick look, the code recovered from the pigeon is a 5 letter cipher not 4.

• Like Like x 1

5. Bugger ... I must improve my reading skills .

6. Who really cares when he joined, the WOC shows what his fellow SAS thought of him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Not everyone has a reference from Paddy Mayne>

I hope Lord Ashcrofts got his checkbook out.

8. See ron perks malayan scouts i worked with him never said a word.

9. Well, he's a Jock, so it's probably true. Apart from Paddy Mayne, they were virtually all from Jockistan.

10. Banker

Banker On ROPs

Such a wonderful piece of history. I hope it remains intact.

11. What? Not even 'Hello'?