A rant about NGOs in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by King_of_the_Burpas, Oct 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, ok, sorry about this, but I have just read a pile of emails from people working for the UN as well as various 'charities' and other NGOs in Afghanistan (mostly in Kabul) and I want to take a plank to all of them.

Given the immense sacrifices made by ill-equipped and badly supported soldiers (see ARRSE threads passim) fighting to prevent the government and its chums from being butt fukcued by the Taliban - and given the wider arguments raised by the war against terror being waged only a few clicks east/south east of Kabul - not to mention the suicide bombing outside the Ministry of the Interior today - what are the local 'elites' of Harvard, Yale, Oxford and Cambridge discussing on their various knob head websites today?

Well, the new Mexican restaurant in Kabul, La Cantina is sh~ite, apparently. Somebody else posts that "the desserts are good try them and post again". There's an ad for the Oktoberfest event at the Deutsche Hof and there are endless mong postings about whether the steaks at Red Hot 'N' Sizzlin' are any good and whether it is safe to be in Kabul at all.

FFS. These people sign up for a tour in a "war zone" with absolutely no bloody interest in the country they are in and certainly no interest whatsoever in taking any risks with their own lives: a bomb goes off? Well, that means a lock down with drinks at UNAMA and perhaps a slightly longer game of Monopoly than anticipated.

Meanwhile, they trouser $6000 per month tax free wages and the only Afghans they see until they rotate to a cushty job in New York or London or wherever are the poor sods who serve them tea, kiss their hoops, or plant their fcuking geraniums.

Meanwhile the country goes to Hell in a hand cart and a lot of chaps expend sweat, blood and tears to ensure these cnuts' careers mature just, mmmm, perfectly.

Rest assured there is no room on ther 2000-odd postings website for a single - A SINGLE - word of gratitude for what British, or any other soldiers are doing there.

The NGO / UN bandwagon is very much a part of the problem - no wonder so many Afghans hate us.

AAAAAAArrrrggghhh :twisted:

2. As the old saying goes: How many people work in the UN?

About a third of them. Boom boom.

3. Yes it is. I know exactly the type you're talking about. They populate my hometown.

If only more NGOs would actually do something useful, and work WITH the troops, rather than around them. Some NGOs work with the military to build schools and fund projects (mostly in the North of the country, where it has been mostly successful". Same thing in Iraq with the "Christian Peacemaker Teams" or whoever they were. Also in Africa, South America, Asia, everywhere.

I got caught up in one of these journeys once, foolishly believing I was actually going somewhere to help people. Silly me, it was a sightseeing trip where my companions talked politics, bitched about "the man", said "the army would never do something like this" (I concurred, the army would have done something useful), and detachedly watched as a drug baron's security thugs patrolled the street.

Villager: "The taliban are stealing our food"
    NGO Volunteer: "They're probably hungry, why don't you share?"
    Villager: "Because my family is hungry"
    NGO Volunteer: "Well stop being selfish and share!"

4. Nice! Those UN staff still working have already exempted themselves from any crackdown on boozing from the new Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice - as have ISAF. (Which is A Good Thing as long as they do something else while they are there).

And as you say they will continue to do precious little.

One UN worker has a web diary in which she complains about having too much oil in her vegetables.

5. Hmm, welcome to reality.

6. funny that haven't seen a single un worker down here in the south and miles from the real hotspots just the odd badly aimed rocket attack

spineless shites

7. Someone should vet these NGO's before they go out. What's the point of soldiers running themselves ragged if the NGO's are helping to feed the enemy? Bloody do-gooders!

stab

8. In Rwanda, the people who served up the big UN dinners at the end of 'a long day's toil' called them "Wenwes" because all they ever said among themselves while being served their dinner was "When we were in Cambodia / When we were in Bosnia / When we were saving some poor sap somewhere"

9. What is the role of NGOs; what do they do?

10. Great question. In Afghanistan the best hospital for locals with an A&E unit capable of handling landmine / car bomb casualties is run by an Italian charity. The best prosthetics and rehab centre isw run by .... an Italian charity (it's called EMERGENZA, if anyone feels like sending them a dime). Security is handled by ISAF, as is all the tedious 'liaison' between the West and the Afghan government.

NGOs? Hmmm. They do a bit of de-mining, although most of that is done by charities as well, they employ foreigners to work on roads / reconstruction projects / celebrity link ups where ambassadors can showcase pet projects while surrounded by a platoon of body guards.

Oh, and there's a lot of bureaucratic bollox about diversity projects and so on.

And, well, from my own experience of the UN, that's pretty much it.

They really are a shower.
    Here's my bet: there isn't a single UN / NGO job currently filled by an idiot in KAbul that could not be done on the internet by a call centre novice.

11. Great question. In Afghanistan the best hospital for locals with an A&E unit capable of handling landmine / car bomb casualties is run by an Italian charity. The best prosthetics and rehab centre isw run by .... an Italian charity (it's called EMERGENZA, if anyone feels like sending them a dime). Security is handled by ISAF, as is all the tedious 'liaison' between the West and the Afghan government.

NGOs? Hmmm. They do a bit of de-mining, not personally, you understand - although most of that is done by charities as well. They employ foreigners to work on roads / reconstruction projects / celebrity link ups where ambassadors can showcase pet projects while surrounded by a platoon of body guards.

Oh, and there's a lot of bureaucratic bollox about diversity projects and so on.

And, well, from my own experience of the UN, that's pretty much it.

They really are a shower.
    Here's my bet: there isn't a single UN / NGO job currently filled by an idiot in KAbul that could not be done on the internet by a call centre novice.

12. Thanks for that, I've been donating to Mines Action Group for a couple of years, glad to know it was worth it.

13. MAG very good. UN not so hot. Halo good. The problem is where the majority of the funding ends up. Lots of good stuff for investigative journos.

14. Not to mention big old bags of grain with various NGO stamps or "A gift from the people of the USA" being sold in the Market at Kigali.

Or Various UN "Field Officers" banging up huge bar tabs and availing themselves of the *cough* local colour at the Mlles.Collines while complaining "War is hell"

Or having barbecue parties , in full view of starving locals

Or making sure the owner of the "Kigali Knights"(sic) could probably have put his kids through Swiss finishing school and the very best universities in pursuit of more beer and local colour.

Frequent trips in UN chartered aircraft to Nairobi , for more parties.

That said, I cannot say enough good things about Medicin sans frontieres.

I'll stop now , my p*ss is red-lining.

15. I guess any attempt to advertise this would be swiftly expunged by the 'system'.