• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

A quick note about the work-to-do

Thanks for all the feedback and observations. ARRSE is a truly superb testing platform for that reason - one of the developers for the old software loved it. Any faults? You'll find out within minutes.

So, I know there's lots to do and we would have waited and tested longer, but it was just getting delayed and delayed by other work and I decided to go for it regardless. My biggest concern was server load which so far seems OK-ish.

So, just to keep those interested up to date, these are my priorities:

1 (Solved): A login problem for users with characters at the start of their usernames

2 (Solved): Get rid of double posts
3 (Solved): Last 50 posts
3a (Solved) sort error in ordering of 'last 50'
3b. (Solved) reduce load caused by search
4 (Solved ): Chat
4a. Sort 'who's in chat'
5: Saved PMs not imported (I might just stick the old site online to get around this)
6 (Solved): Donor ranks, 3RTR, Longdon Bar and any other groups
7. (Solved) Search updating / front page last posts / blogs
8 (Maybe solved - the jury's out) DII access problems - partial success. Needs more work.
9. Colours / contrast / readability
10. White theme
11. Missing smilies
12. Forum and thread titles in front page recent posts

Also solved:

- 24 hour clock
- Suspended / deleted users should now be correct

As for the colours... they always get complained about no matter what we do peolpe will complain so that's low prioirty. People hated the last changes, and the ones before that... etc.. etc..

A white theme wiill come eventually once we're up and running.

Thanks for the update GCO.
Would it be possible to have the "Quick links" button with the "Subscribed threads" thing etc on the "What's new" page rather than having to go into a thread or the Forum page before it appears?

Thanks for the update GCO.
Would it be possible to have the "Quick links" button with the "Subscribed threads" thing etc on the "What's new" page rather than having to go into a thread or the Forum page before it appears?
Probably. I'll go through all these 'can we' / 'it's ****' threads after we've done the big jobs.

Re 'My Posts'

Menu on the top right, 'My profile'. On the left are two links 'posts started' and 'all posts' or similar. At the moment they don't update as I have to work on the search system as I noted above. Does that sort out your problem?

GCO been off line for a couple of days so today was a big surprise just like Christmas, nice update it will take a while to get back into the swing, I have to login every time I pop out and in is that normal or just me? Good luck with the work

GCO been off line for a couple of days so today was a big surprise just like Christmas, nice update it will take a while to get back into the swing, I have to login every time I pop out and in is that normal or just me? Good luck with the work
Glad you like it. Tick the 'remember me' box next time you log in.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm in the mood for changes at the moment. So while I certainly didn't hate the old version of the forum I'm liking this new shiny improved offering.

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
A rather odd one. Is anyone else having Issues using Arrse with DII(F) since the upgrade? I can log in at home no problem. Try to log in at work and get the "Wrong password, maximum number of incorrect logins reached, please wait 15 minutes" error message. I'm tried several times, typing veeerrrrrrrry slowly to ensure I wasn't making a typo. No joy. Got home, logged straight in.

Bizarre.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
A rather odd one. Is anyone else having Issues using Arrse with DII(F) since the upgrade? I can log in at home no problem. Try to log in at work and get the "Wrong password, maximum number of incorrect logins reached, please wait 15 minutes" error message. I'm tried several times, typing veeerrrrrrrry slowly to ensure I wasn't making a typo. No joy. Got home, logged straight in.

Bizarre.
I had that twice on first login; third time lucky.

Re 'My Posts'

Menu on the top right, 'My profile'. On the left are two links 'posts started' and 'all posts' or similar. At the moment they don't update as I have to work on the search system as I noted above. Does that sort out your problem?
no, the My posts link gave unique functionality in between the the 2 i.e a list of threads to which a contribution has been made with the most recently updated at the top. It was an excellent concise way of automatically monitoring activity over a long period of time on subjects of interest, with the most recently updated one at the top.
threads that I may not have remembered to subscribe/monitor show.

The critical bit was this was on the my stuff menu bar and was quickly accesible from any page without having to dig/click multiple links

no, the My posts link gave unique functionality in between the the 2 i.e a list of threads to which a contribution has been made with the most recently updated at the top. It was an excellent concise way of automatically monitoring activity over a long period of time on subjects of interest, with the most recently updated one at the top.
threads that I may not have remembered to subscribe/monitor show.

The critical bit was this was on the my stuff menu bar and was quickly accesible from any page without having to dig/click multiple links
Seconded. This was absolutely the best way of monitoring ongoing threads that you had contributed to. I had 'Forums' as a hotlink and from there it was one click straight into 'My posts' to catch up on threads and from there another click into 'All Posts' to see what was new.

If I was being super picky - it would be nice to be able to edit the 'My Posts' list, so that you could 'drop' threads that you had become bored with. Baron Castleshort did become a bit tedious after about 1 billion posts!

But overall - everything else looks very impressive.

Latest Threads