A quick medical question

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by nick11, Aug 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I've been thinking about possibly applying to join the British Army. However, understandably, you require to meet both physical and medical criteria to qualify, but I have a question regarding this issue.

I do suffer from a permanent condition, although it doesn't affect me physically or mentally during everyday life, but I have a profound hearing loss.

Would my condition instantly deny me from joining the Army?

2. Personally, I found the hearing test the hardest part of my application. If in doubt, go to your local careers office.

4. As well as being deaf, you lack the mental capacity to distinguish between medical and administration issues....
  5. At least you'd save the MOD a couple of quid on ear defs, they could put it together with the boot money saved from the one legged recruits and buy a decent combat radio system
  6. In all seriousness, yes it almost certainly will disbar you from service. Hearing is carefully measured, and if you think about it, it is a vital part of service.

Obviously it will depend on the degree of your loss, but by you using the word profound, then I presume that using the phone etc is difficult or even impossible.

I would think that it is highly unlikley that you will pass a PULHEEMS test, however the only people that can answer this definitivley will be the AFCO and the doctors.

I suggest that you get yoursef down to the AFCO and ask the question, that'll sort it out for you quickly and let you know if you are just pi$$ing up the wrong tree.
  7. Good answer, Infiltrator!

8. Yes, just discovered the answer to my question, by Sergeant ****** (wish not to disclose)

As he said, quite bluntly, ''In order to qualify and pass a basic hearing assessment, you must not exceed 84DB in terms of loss'' Unfortunately, I'm just a shade out. Bit of bummer I say.
  9. Yes. It's unfortunate that signing doesn't work too well over the radio.
  10. Normally you sit in the booth for your test and watch the medic press the button then press yours to say you heard it :D
  11. Or just keep pressing the button because of all the background noise (that the medic can't hear because his ears aren't sensitive enough). Worked for me. ;)
  12. Or you could join the Royal Artillery. Bunch of deaf cnuts.