A Quick Look at the Ajax AFV

I agree with the context but isn’t British doctrine generally not to fight for info?

Therefore recce vehicles should be small, light, manoeuvrable, fast, with good sensors and be armed for self defence?

If Ajax comes across heavy armour if it should be covertly calling in air and/or bugging out.

It will be able to take on light armour and support the infantry.
Well I have been told that the idea is that this is old hat, "You know when we've found the enemy because recce goes off the air" is apparently the belief about recce by stealth*, but if that's the case then we need a mix of MBT and AIFV so we can fight effectively, AJAX seems to me to be part cap badge preservation, part jobs for Welshmen, part the delusion that we can 'punch above our weight'.
* There is an article in the Times today saying we will be sending troops to an exercise with the Saudis equipped with drones that cost less than £1,000 each. Give each recce car a couple of these plus a dearer model capable of carrying a TI sensor and I'd almost argue that WIMIK might be a better bet than AJAX.

Just out of interest, if someone at MoD actually had a 'lightbulb moment' and ditched the medium tank/recce vehicle concepts, what might AJAX be any use for, Warrior replacement, chassis for future 155 mm artillery, etc.

Bin the farcical Warrior turret upgrade, and use the chassis for BGSV, buy an Ajax IFV variant and use the recce versions as close pickets for Amde Inf BNs. Sort out Recce with MIV variants.

But what do I know...

Bin the farcical Warrior turret upgrade, and use the chassis for BGSV, buy an Ajax IFV variant and use the recce versions as close pickets for Amde Inf BNs. Sort out Recce with MIV variants.

But what do I know...
Not a lot, on the face of it.

* There is an article in the Times today saying we will be sending troops to an exercise with the Saudis equipped with drones that cost less than £1,000 each. Give each recce car a couple of these plus a dearer model capable of carrying a TI sensor and I'd almost argue that WIMIK might be a better bet than AJAX.
Have a linky or quote for that, please?

And is that enough?
To equip x amount of Armd Recce Regt?
To equip the Recce Plns of Armd Inf Bn (and Strike Inf Bns?)
To equip the Recce TPS of 2 Armd Regt?
There’s enough - under new structures - to equip both Armd Cav Regts, both Med Armd Regts, and the recce pl/tps of Armd Regts and AI Bns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a linky or quote for that, please?
I get the paper copy so I can't get a link. It was on Monday, page 15, headline "Britain takes on Russia's military might with fleet of £1,000 drones". The exercise is Saef Sareea 3 in Oman. It's not explicit who's using the drones but Household Cavalry are part of Red Force so since Russia has been playing the commercial drone game in the Ukraine it sounds like HCR will be doing the same.

Just out of interest, if someone at MoD actually had a 'lightbulb moment' and ditched the medium tank/recce vehicle concepts, what might AJAX be any use for, Warrior replacement, chassis for future 155 mm artillery, etc.
GD ELS have already developed IFV and SPG variants with the IFV's (3 crew/7 dismounts) ASCOD 2's being in service with Spain. Going to a common chassis for a few vehicles may make too much sense though.

I guess the big question to lead to that is when is the service life of the Warrior up and an upgrade isn't going to produce the results/longevity that is required in the platform. The economy of a common platform would start to hold more sway.

Last edited:
GD ELS have already developed IFV and SPG variants with the IFV's (3 crew/7 dismounts) ASCOD 2's being in service with Spain. Going to a common chassis for a few vehicles may make too much sense though.
ASCOD used as the base for this BAE demonstrator: 50mm cannon - high angle for urban, RWS, APS, 9 drones, gucci skin, 2 crew and 6 dismounts, plus some automation on driving to reduce crew load

General Dynamics’ Griffin III For US Army Next Generation Combat Vehicle (NGCV)

But like the LAV-25 and Ajax it is a Recce version of a IFV so is the same size
Yeah it looks even bigger than Ajax to me . As others have said perhaps the Dutch and Germans have it right with their Fenneks. The ideal answer I would suspect is a mix of vehicles. I always thought the old US Army Armored Cavalry organization with combined arms right down to platoon level was quite clever. Each platoon had tank, reconnaissance, infantry and mortar sections.

Last edited:
I always thought the old US Army Armored Cavalry organization with combined arms right down to platoon level was quite clever. Each platoon had tank, reconnaissance, infantry and mortar sections.
You could waste a lot of armour, infantry and fire support that way, sat behind the recce vehicle who has nothing to see.

You could waste a lot of armour, infantry and fire support that way, sat behind the recce vehicle who has nothing to see.
I suppose so but there must have been a reason for it. The Danes and if I remember correctly the Dutch had similar platoons/troops . Here is quite an interesting paper on how US Army cavalry organizations developed from the 1940s to the 1980s:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a167712.pdf

This looks as if it might be of interest too:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a611749.pdf

Last edited:
In the case of the Dutch, they were able to reorganize their recce squadrons into " pure " tank, infantry, reconnaissance and mortar platoons as necessary:

Unit Organisation and Equipment

I'm not saying this kind of war establishment should be directly copied, it's interesting though that at least three NATO countries found it useful .