Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Quick Look at the Ajax AFV

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Those two armoured vehicles on each side of it look extremely like they think the big lunk in the middle is about to eat them.
I'd still put my money on the Scimitars, rather than the Spanish tracked tin box....

Stealth is a great protector, and I'm really concerned by the motive sound levels in every video I've seen that hasn't had a dramatic marketing soundtrack added.

you noticed too that every video since the first has had a driving rock track added to drown out the horrendous racket the thing makes.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree with you about the value of stealth but contemporary technology has changed the context - smart CCTV, motion detectors, passive and active night vision equipment and even sound detection, not to mention satellite, aerial surveillance and drone tech.
Indeed. But just to pick two of those: motion and sound detectors. AJAX is big and noisy. Actually, that applies to all of the solutions you've just listed.

If most of what we're going to use is small and buzzy, it could come off the back of a MAN truck.

Yes, I know that people are going to come back again to surviving being seen, and 'it's not just a recce asset, it's a fire asset' but AJAX's primary recce 'weapon' is a roof-mounted sight... on top of a bloody big vehicle.

I"m not getting all [he how shall not be named... the Google warrior] on everyone. And, we are where we are, so the points above are moot. But...
In defence of the Ajax family*, while the vehicles are considerably bigger than CVR(T), the UAV/UGV you can operate out of the Ajax is considerably smaller than CVR(T).

Also a UAV buzzing around doesn’t give away your position away like a MMS.

That said, if you had some king of articulated arm you could stow a “M”MS in a fairly small volume.
How does a UAV give you away less than an MMS? It's all context.

Me looking through the top foliage of a woodland block, or just peeping over the top of a building or hill several kilometres away is going to be a bugger to spot. And quieter than a buzzing UAV. And more robust.

MMS I’m sure can be detected by radar and would be obvious if seen

didn’t the Russians hack UAVs so they found where they landed? Or locate the controller with EW?

you noticed too that every video since the first has had a driving rock track added to drown out the horrendous racket the thing makes.
I’d not put too much stock in noise based on videos.
Cheesy music on videos of military kit is pretty much standard, so I wouldn’t read too much into that either.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
MMS I’m sure can be detected by radar and would be obvious if seen

didn’t the Russians hack UAVs so they found where they landed? Or locate the controller with EW?
A stealthy head unit on a pole miles away? Ok.
I’d not put too much stock in noise based on videos.
Cheesy music on videos of military kit is pretty much standard, so I wouldn’t read too much into that either.
Yes it is but the noise when the music is absent is astounding. It clatters along.

How does a UAV give you away less than an MMS? It's all context.

Me looking through the top foliage of a woodland block, or just peeping over the top of a building or hill several kilometres away is going to be a bugger to spot. And quieter than a buzzing UAV. And more robust.
A UAV hovering over a house doesn’t imply that there is the control point behind it. UGVs are pretty quiet, and you’re unlikely to hear a UAV from reasonable distance. I‘d guess a couple of hundred meters tops with normal background noise. Plus you can carry a spare UAV much easier than a Spare MMS.

There’s scope for both, and each has advantages. I’d like a MMS, but if it meant I couldn’t have a UAV I mightn’t be so keen.

A stealthy head unit on a pole miles away? Ok.

Yes it is but the noise when the music is absent is astounding. It clatters along.
Have to say I'm struggling with the concept of any armoured vehicle I've ever known, being quiet?

Unless it's broken down when all you can hear is the clang of the 'applicator universal' and the cursing of the crew.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Given that it’s you saying that I can conclude that it regularly sneaks up on church mice.
Given you a funny and it's a reasonable conclusion, but like a stopped clock, the law of averages state that Photex has to be right by accident sometimes. This is one of those times.

I have been reliably informed (by someone "working in Wales") that AJAX makes far more noise than than the AFVs it replaces (not just on telly), and even after years of tweaking it's an awful platform.

Edit for spelunking

Last edited:
It sounds more like a WW1 tank than a modern AFV.

I predict that as soon as deliveries are complete, someone will be placing a contract with Soucy for a whole load of Composite Rubber Track...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given you a funny and it's a reasonable conclusion, but like a stooped clock, the law of averages state that Photex has to be right by accident sometimes. This is one of those times.

I have been reliably informed (by someone "working in Wales") that AJAX makes far more noise than than the AFVs it replaces (not just on telly), and even after years of tweaking it's an awful platform.
That's because it was nailed together in a tiny forklift truck factory.

The trend towards bigger bulkier AFVs is general. The new russian generation of IFVs is also huge.

Here, 2 new generation Griffon with 2 1980s vintage AMX-10RC during recent tests in Djibouti.

EjFyCgfWoAcL3Xx.jpeg

If we're not bothered by its size or mobility because we want to spot the enemy first with fancy sensors, engage them with a big gun, and if that fails, survive behind armoured protection....

Doesn't that mean what we need is a tank?

If we're not bothered by its size or mobility because we want to spot the enemy first with fancy sensors, engage them with a big gun, and if that fails, survive behind armoured protection....

Doesn't that mean what we need is a tank?

Or if not a tank, doesn't it mean the direct fire or missile versions were the ones we actually needed?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads