A Question.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Azz91, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently going through the process of joining the British Army (Regular's). I want to go into the RAMC as a Combat Field Technician. My first question is how much time would I spend in a field hospital and how much time would be spent attached to a Company? Secondally after I've done my 24 year's what Qualification's would I of gained and would theese qualification's get me work in the NHS, if so what job's I would specifically like to be a Paramedic or something close.

Thank's in advance, Arron.

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Question One: As much time as your postings dictate. If you apply to be posted to a Fd Hosp and go from 22 to 33 to 34 you could spend 9 years in a field hospital- unlikley and MCM hopefully wouldnt allow it.(Soldiers going from medical centre to medical centre- unheard of!)

Question Two: You would get Teeth Arm postings as a career posting in the development of your trade.

Question Three: After 24 years as a CMT, you could be a receptionist, cleaner, practice manager etc.

Not being privvy to Paramedic developments I couldnt comment on that status.

3. Ouch! - Didn't have you down for a B1tch Ventress :D

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The truth hurts- I didnt mention he could also be a security guard in the NHS

5. If, after 24 years, the NHS are still offering training 'on the job' for Paramedics, you'll probably be looked on favourably when applying for said training. Other than that, nothing.

6. Unfortunately Ventress is right, although you could join the ambulance service as a technician and then train 'up' that way (even though CMT 1 isn't that far removed from a paramedic it isn't recognised as a qualification within the NHS). If it gives you an idea how crazy the system is we have a senior paramedic manager in our unit who is a Pte, as the army don't recognise his qualification. He had to go up the normal CMT training pathway.

Even acknowledging the differences between a CMT and paramedic I think a bit more joined up governance thinking may be required if it isn't already happening.

7. I sugest you do a search on paramedic.. we've written lots on this. There are loads of opportunities for a switched on CMT. I know many who have got out and done very well in both the private sector and NHS. Get a higher education qual in medicine and the trusts will snap you up.
    Or you could become a nurse and wipe arrses for a living :) you could easily transfer that skill to civi street :)