A question

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Tiffpietiff, Dec 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so I got a question here - and don't mock me for this :)

Is it just Pl. Commanders that are issued SA80s? Are Company Commanders and Company 2 I/Cs issued with rifles, and if so, when do officers generally stop lugging them around?
  2. I'd rather have an SA80 than a pistol.....any day of the week!

They're not that heavy! I'd recommend going to the gym if you're struggling with one.

Or do you like "Dirty Harry" movies?
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

If they are smart, they don't.

Within Bn life you will normally find they will all have rifles.
  4. All ranks below Lt Col are mandated to carry a rifle in current theatres...

Pistols may be drawn for specific duties.
  5. why dont you want to carry a rifle?

Its not the first world war you know, where the new 2lt blows the whistle and draws his pistol to shoot any straggelers.

I know a lot of people slated the SA80 and for valid reasons, but i loved my rifle, and was always gutted when i had to get a new one.
  6. I never said I didn't want to carry an SA80 - I'm perfectly happy to, obviously. I was just wondering! :p
  7. ahh those were the days.
  8. Certainly in the infantry everyone used to carry a rifle. SMG for BG HQ types. But even in Air Portable ops the Coy HQ is vehicle mounted. Not much *lugging* of anything going on there. Quite right too.
  9. Swords...?! What happened to them ... always enjoyed a bit of pig-sticking!!

But seriously a nice big gat is always good, can be used as butstroke people also means you can shoot peole further away - stops getting blood on your combat - real pain to get out of combats. Just remember to keep it within an arms length at all times or in the shoulder and you can't go wrong
  10. I used to like the proper wooden furniture and steel butt on the SLR. Plastic was well - plasticky.
  11. What a stupid thread, if you don't mind me saying so.