A question...

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by down_under, Oct 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ... for the musically minded. I, very greatfully, received a version of Highland Cathedral from Still21inmymind, thanks mucker, and it sounded a bit quicker than the versions I have from Scots Guards and Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. Is this due to different quick march paces that some units have. The version I have from Still21inmymind, I think, comes from the Booties. Any assistance on this is appreciated.

d_u

2. d_u, the RM band often play in a purely 'entertainment' role, so it may not have been intended to march to. Maybe someone can totally shoot me down or confim this?

3. It's probably the disco mix. Why not download from the net?

Royal marches at the same pace as the Army, just less foot slamming, save they put their foot through the deck.

Great tune though - sends shivers!

4. Never was meant for marching. First performed by massed bands in Berlin in 199? as a set piece and has been much murdered since by too small a number of pipes - it demands volume.

5. @ Bambi, that is something else I was hoping for clearance on, as to when it is used.

@ anyone... Has anyone slow marched to it cause it sounds like it could lend itself to this. Without googling, what is the history behind this piece of music?

d_u

6. It's an anthem for all militant republican porridge wogs - even though I'm led to believe it was composed by a Kraut!

I think I/we slow marched to it during the Commissioning parade at RMAS, can't remember - the emotion!! Second thoughts, maybe it was played in the background during the seven hour inspection phase?

7. From Wiki:

Highland Cathedral is a popular bagpipe tune written by German musicians Ulrich Roever and Michael Korb[1] in a Scottish style. It has been proposed as the Scottish national anthem to replace unofficial anthems Scotland the Brave and/or Flower of Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Cathedral

8. I thank you!

10. Nope.

11. I seem to recall the Jock Highland Inf Regts quick marches was of a couple of paces slower than the rest of the line regts - ready to stand corrected.

12. A bit of a breeze through the tackle saves them having to wash.