A question regarding skin etc...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mordelly, Apr 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hello, hello, hello again.

    I've noticed lately a fair number of topics about eczema. Well I don't have that, but what I was wondering about, I have like this spotty rash which I get at random intervals, say like... it goes in the summer when I get a bit of tan, but then is worst in the cold months. Mostly I get them on my arms, shoulders, back, chest etc. Nothing major, usually just like a few red dots. I've noticed a few people get them but not as bad as I. Other members of my family have them too. Anyone know the medical term for it, and whether or not it is a factor in the medical assessment on ADSC?

    Thanks, Mordelly.
  2. They're like small permanant (non-itchy) goose bumps right?

    I always assumed they were hair follacles or something along that line
  3. If you're worried, best to check with your dr.

    I used to get something like this in early summer, on areas prone to sweating. After being told it was a sweat rash (Miliaria - not be confused with Malaria) for a couple of years, I kicked up a fuss and when out in Oman the MO prescribed calcium supplement for me. Cleared it up in 20 minutes, bless him. Turns out I have a dietary based calcium deficiency, so I take these nice efervescent tablets for one week every year and I'm fine

    Best to get it checked out, at least reassure yourself that it' nothing evil. Sure it's not the pox?
  4. I'm no doctor so can only give an opinion however It could be psoriasis. UV rays helps clear it which would explain why you don't get it in the summer. Its stress related so chill :wink: 8)
    Or it could be your getting attacked by a swarm of winter ants each biting you all over. I suggest you burn them off with a lighter. If you get worried see the doctor for a professional oppinion
  5. Psar..blah looks a bit more severe than what he's describing ;)
  6. The lurgy!

    You only need to start to worry when it appears around your ball sack.
  7. Quick thought. If it moves, then you've got crabs mate. Best to use a blowtorch
  8. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    could be foleculitues (spell check it) infected hair folicals itches abit and can come up as individual spots or in groups. can go by its self over time or need treatment.
  9. ironeye is correct, it could be psoriasis, as you state it goes in the summer and comes back in the winter, I have the same shite on my thighs mate, isn't really bad, just little patches, go to your doctor and he/she may prescribe you a mild steroid cream to help clear it up.
  10. Mate I am not doctor but I think I know what it is.

    Keratosis pilaris


    Most pictures you can find are severe cases (you know what the interweb is like), but the description of it as a common thing that makes your skin feel rough and resembles goose bumps seems to be the most likely diagnosis.
  11. Or it could be a yeast/fungus infection of some sort.
    If it is bothering you ask your GP to make you an appointment with a dermatologist (Skin expert) and then you can have a professional opinion instead of our guesswork. My money is on some sort of Strange Tropical Desease (STD) you got off a loud mouthed Northern lass one Saturday a couple of years back.
  12. Well, now you have three or four different personal opinions, I suppose you either take your pick, work through each of them or take the sensible short cut by asking someone medically qualified to examine the problem. Good luck.
  13. Sounds like Scurvy - eat some limes
  14. i thought this thread was going to be about racism...
  15. Well if you choose keratosis pilaris then invest in a bottle of Eucerin’s Intensive 10% w/w Urea Treatment Lotion, apparently it's just the dab for clearing it up.