A Question on Charities

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by tropper66, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have now what seems to me to be hundreds of service charities, Face Book web sites,ect all collecting cash for the serving and ex serving comunity, but where does all this cash go, I have never seen or met any ex squaddy who got any help from other than the RBL, Combat stress, so what do these other organisations do?, and does anyone have any experiance of help from these people,

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

SSAFA is a bit different in that mostly it blags cash from other sources to pass to its clients, but I have seen SSAFA and Hols4Heroes clients receive stuff they need, so can vouch that money and goods does get through.

3. In the past 3 weeks alone I've managed to source goods and funding from various Regt Assns and TRBL to the tune of £3000, all of which has gone to the clients who came to us.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Even the two you mention Tropper RBL & Combat Stress get funds from elsewhere.
    If TRBL or SSAFA have a case the money may come from a variety of other charities, ABF, Regt Assn etc.
    Combat Stress pass welfare work onto SSAFA but to do their work as well as direct fundraising they get grants from RNBT, ABF and RABF etc.
    Outside of the main ones you may know have a look at the COBSEO site:
    http://www.cobseo.org.uk/serviceorgs.html

Anyone on there is doing good work in their chosen field and each many have a different aim.
    If you want a good example have a look at Veterans Aid:
    http://www.veterans-aid.net/

5. I really meant these facebook sites like "Maximum respect," and this" PTSD worldwide," they seem to be cropping up all over the web claiming to help ex servicemen but when questioned block you from the site, I am very freindly with the local RBL/SAFA people but no one seems to know whats going on with all these others, are they doing any good or are, as I think some are a CON

6. See what you mean; if something is new it's by definition not had much of a chance to prove its worth.

But small can be beautiful: for example the "Not Forgotten" Association, which helped c.9000 pax last year - its remit is to provide comforts and entertainment (great providers of TVs and licences). Usually take referrals from SSAFA and other service charities with caseworkers.

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

I'd say be a bit wary of the ones on Facebook, as they may or may not be legit.

But then I do a bit for Hols for Heroes, and we're not a regulated charity!

It's all about trust, and knowing who to trust. Strangers on the Internet - not until they've proved trustworth, is my advice.

8. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I have had a phone call from a casualty visiting officer today, they would not have called if they did not think we were legit and indeed got our details from higher, the gist of the call is, we at www.holidays4heroes.org are going to be busy this year so please support us if you can

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Oh, Mr. Spanish-Dave, I certainly trust you!!!!

10. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Ha ha I have been known to lie to some ladies :dance:

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Not wearing that cap, though ;-)

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Your right Tropper, I would say if your doing something stay with either a well known national charity or a local one where you know and trust the individuals involved or can easily trace them.