A question on being late.

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Airfix, Jan 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, not arriving late, but being late of some Regt or another.

Let me expand. You are a Colonel, late LI. Are you still a Colonel late LI or have you now become a Colonel late The Rifles, even though you have never actually soldiered in their badge and garb?

If only red tabs from the recent chop, sorry, amalgamations, had got gongs in the New Year's Honours list I wouldn't have to ask!

2. How about the guy who was Late Argylls on the list? That probably answers the question, as his old Regt are now SCOTS

3. Thanks for that and that's the problem. Unless one knows he got the tabs before/after amalgamation it's a bit of a guesing game as to the answer!

Anyone wish to contradict the short fella?

4. AFAIK it's the pre-amalgamation unit.

Certainly at Dinner nights the old Regi Marches are played, even if the Regiments are long gone.

I am quite happy to admit that I may be completely wrong...

Tubs

5. Once an Officer is promoted to the rank of full Colonel, he technically leaves his Regiment, and joins the 'General Staff', or something, although he will still wear some regimental memorabilia. He/she is then 'late' of their old Regiment, to which they belonged. Sometimes, this Regiment has been amalgamated into something else but as he never served in the new one, he remains 'late' of the original one...

I may be off on a few minor technicalities but that's more or less it...

Off to bed now,

Adjt

6. Had a look at the full Hons List and there are at least two bods with 'late' Regts that have since had the chop (one AandSH, one Kings), so that answers my own question - you are what you were late of, note what you were late of has been transformed into.

Unless the medal office got the list wrong... hey ho!

7. Quite right. It was a stupid question really. How can one possibly be late of a Regiment of which one has never been a member?

8. A trivial question, yes, but a stupid one, no, for now I have the answer to something that I did not have before.

Now, if you don't mind, I think I'm late....

9. Thought this was going to be young girls discussing their monthlies

10. Young girls and Staff College Officers, now there's a thread I'd like to see! :wink:

11. I have also heard, although again not confirmed, that should you be promoted to full Col then you can elect to be late of the Regiment you commissioned into, or its amalgamated version. So the Chap on the NYHL who was Late KINGS could theoretically be Late D&D as he was indeed originally D&D.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference for this callsign..... 1 (UK) Civ Div don't really care, unless you are late...................

12. I'm not sure exactly of the protocol here, and it may be open to interpretation, but Col Trg at RMAS certainly styles himself 'Late RIFLES', rather than RGJ, and it's the former march rather than the latter at dinner nights.

13. Actually, I was horribly, horribly wrong. RGJ it is - I'll get my coat.

14. All well and true, but I know that many of the RGJ/LI/RGBW/D and D 'Latelies' have chosen to wear Rifles belts and badges rather than be seen as dinosaurs harking back to yesteryear.

15. Got nothing to do with shiny plastic over must polish brown leather and brass then, or is that just me... :wink: