A question of choice?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by SKJOLD, Jan 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do members of TA get a choice about which operational theatres they deploy to, or is it a certainty you will get the sand pit.

Do members of the TA have the option of bolstering other troops while on overseas exercise, on an individual basis rather than as a unit.

If these codheads had a TA here I think I wouldve joined already. :(

SK

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If these codheads had a TA here I think I wouldve joined already.

SK

Where?

3. My guess is Norway, given the Codhead ref and living in Bergen. Could be wrong he could live in a large rucksack outside of Grimsby

4. Your powers of deduction are outstanding. :D

Now then, on with the first two questions.

SK

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Q1 - getting a choice - No, not really. You are called up, and go where you are sent, like any other Soldier. Pretty sure that, when the Minister makes the announcement that xxx TA are to be called up, he has t osay then where they are going. This has caertainly been the case over the past two years. Iraq is far from certain, as there are many TA in other Theatres - Afghanistan, Bos, Kos, for starters.

Q2 - Yes, if there is a request for people to make up numbers. for some Regts, their Reg counterparts ask for volunteers. For some Corps, there is a virtually continuous trawl for people with specific Trades to attend exercises. If you do this, however, you aren't 'called up' , so don't get any employment protection, etc (what there is of it). We've had blokes do exercises in Kenya, BATUS, Belize, etc., almost back to back.

6. They do.Its called the home guard(obviously in Norsk) and you get to take your gun home :lol: http://www.mil.no/languages/english/start/facts/homeguard/

7. msr

msr LE

I can see some in the Treasury start salivating at these figures:

Permanent peacetime strength:
    Approx. 600 including approx. 200 civilians.

Strength after mobilisation:
    Approx. 83,000.

msr

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye, Denmark, Norway & Sweden have these Home Guard forces, it's a shame about the name but then they never saw the Walmington-On-Sea platoon !

Denmark, and I believe Norway too, started WWII as a neutral state but this 'noble' idea didn't do either of them much good and the HG was formed out of the resistance units who gave the Bosche a hard time to a greater or lesser extent.
    The idea being that a body of armed men, however basically trained, would give the regular forces enough of a breathing space to get their troops on the ground.

Another 'bonus' that the Treasury would cream themselves over is that these units are unpaid, (as far as I know,) so the individuals serve out of a sense of national pride. Or perhaps to feed some Ramboesque fantasies...... :twisted:

9. On the other hand,

Which makes them twice the size(ish) of the TA. I presume the 600 peacetimers are the NRPS equivalents.

10. Home guard:
    Norway has a Homeguard. After Conscription service ends a lucky few are put on the Homeguard list and get to play soldier for one week a year. For the princely sum of NKr1000 (ish) There is no getting out of it as far as i know. So what happens if you dont turn up? You go to jail and a few went down last year.

p.s for those that would like to see the reintrouduction of conscription you would think again if you saw this rabbily bunch of misfits. An RSM would die instantly!

SK