A Question of Blame-Any Policemen or Legal Eagles about?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the way to work today I nearly had an accident. I was stopped at a T-junction, when I saw a scooter driving along indicating as if he was about to turn into the road I was on. I began to drive out, and he (luckily) managed to avoid me as he continued straight on rather than turning.

It isn't the first time, that I've been in this situation, and I wondered if I would have been held responsible if an accident had occurred?

While I'm on the subject, what about cyclists cycling on the wrong side of the road? My girlfriend had a near miss due to one last week, and was pretty shaken up about it.

Thanks in advance.

2. More than likely. He is contributary to any accident as he left his indicator on, but you really have to allow him to manouvre first. It's always best to hang back in these circumstances, even when it involves car. try to catch the driver/riders eyes. You'll have a good idea what he's going to do or not as the case may be and he'll be very aware of your presence. At the end of the day if you creamed the c*nt, it would be your word against his.

Cyclists on the wrong side of the road? Completely their fault. Your problem is getting the insurance to pay for the damage to your car. They aren't obliged to be insured even though they use the highway. Kids are f*cking terrible for it.
  3. If he had right of way, I'd say, even if he had his indicator on, you'd get the wrap.
  4. I seem to recall being taught that you should never act just on seeing a flashing indicator and suspect you would be at fault. In the same way if someone flashes their headlights at you to move out of a junction, if you have an accident it is your fault.
  5. You should have creamed the cu*t and then told the local bill he rammed you. Most scooter riders are complete fuc*wits and deserve to be spread, like a fine raspberry jam, across the tarmac. :D
  6. Agreed. There are always kids thrashing their bikes through the crowded (pedestrianised) town centre, causing people to dodge them. Same deal with pavements. If they do ride on the road, it's only until they reach a set of traffic lights, when they'll pull up onto the pavement and crack on - Or just keep on going. They seem to think that the rules of the road don't apply to them.

Like most things, the laws are there but they're just not enforced.
  7. If he`d hit you it would be regarded as your fault because you must wait
    to see that a driver acts on the signal he`s giving before you pull out.
    (13 years a driving instructor).
  8. you should never assume that a motor cyclist coming towards you from the right with their indicator flashing is indeed going to turn left before you ... why? ... because unlike cars bikes do not have self cancelling indicators (except some really expensive bikes) ... new/inexperienced bikers often forget to turn them off and so you get the situation to which you refer ... when i was learning i had a car pull out in front of me but managed to thankfully pass behind him ... i cursed him but then realised it was my fault - because my indicator was still flashing after turning off fron the previous roundabout :oops:
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A flashing indicator is no indication that the vehicle will in fact carry out the indicated change of direction.
  10. be particularly wary of motorbikes, even self-cancelling indicators may not reset if the previous turn relied more on canting the bike into the turn than turning the handle-bars.

Are there any offences for indicating a wrong direction ?. I've seen people indicate left and go right - is it fraud?.
  11. "...and it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later wish to lie about in court."
  12. No - its manouevrist, and to be encouraged.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yes, you must wait to see what he does. If he indicates to turn off the highway at your junction, and then fails to do so, the responsibility is yours to chase him in your car and then knock him in the direction in which he indicated he wished to go using your bumper.

As for the cyclists; well, you need to have your camera to hand in such circumstances. The picture of their faces as they and their pushbike vaults over your bonnet upside down is priceless.
  14. The joys of travelling in green fleet. If someone's driving like a tw*t, let events take their course!
  15. Word of advice as far as driving goes.

Always assume the driver has left his indicator on. Or his Brake lights don't work. Or he has flashed his headlights by accident. Etc etc.

Always wait for a clear oppurtunity for you to manouvre without co-operation with other road users before manouvering as the driver making the manouvre is the driver responsible for the crash in the eyes of the law... 9/10.

Unless you overtake a bus pulled in at a bus stop then your normally at fault if you hit it as it pulls out. See my mates recent shunt. Arriva tw@ts!!!