A Question for the Rozzer's

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by No_Duff, Feb 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Years ago I had a car crash, the car rolled 3 times and ended up on it's roof. I tried to kick out the windscreen but couldn't. Then I could smell and saw that the car was on fire, which was a bit of a bastard to be frank. I don't know how I got the seatbelt off but I did and was out the passengers window faster than a rat out of a Viaduct. The Car was a Triumph Vitesse.

I now have this "rescue tool" taped to the car visor. The next crash I have I'll cut the seatbelt and smash the windscreen with the pointy bit.

The blade is 3.5 inches long, it is a lock knife and has a flat where the stabby, sharp blade bit would be. The pointy bit is for doing in any windows.

Is this legal to leave in my car ? (out of sight)

2. If it's out of sight then it's out if mind surely?
  3. I think that if the 'blade' or lack of it in this case is under three inches long, then you'll be okay. I think anything over three inches counts as a dangerous and offensive weapon.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ISTR that a sharp folding thing with a blade of less than 3" is allowed, unless it's a lock/flick/gravity knife.

Supermarkets have plastic disposable tools for cutting strap banding, in which the blade faces and is at an acute angle to a bit of plastic, similar to a penknife that's open a tiny bit. It stops the shelf stackers cutting themselves. The other advantage being that it doesn't need to be opened. I'm sure there's a UK-legal version of this tool available for your application.
  5. Rigght, Im no rozzer but - you can carry a blade more than 3 inches blah blah blah IF you have a good reason to do so.

In this case, the blade is in your car, is clearly not offensive in nature and is clearly being carried for a good and sensible reason. If you leave it in the glove box or similar, there is no chance even an overzealous plod could get a case against you to court.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

That horrible crash in fog / smoke near Bath before Christmas? People shunted front, back and sides then burned. I said to the Missus "I'd hoof the windscreen out". To which she replied "With a broken pelvis?" So I thought about that. Then bought this AA Approved job for a fiver (Amazon or Halfords - around a fiver).

AA Hammer.jpg
  7. I hope that you also carry (in accordance with the instructions on the blade) gloves and safety glasses!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mr Duke, surely your chauffuer should be tasked with "hoofing the screen out".
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'd end up paying for a new pair of Monolo's for her.
  10. It would be classed as 'Carrying a Concealed' weapon......
  11. Pay more attention and dont crash. Problem solved.
  12. Tuffy 52, I believe you are fundamentally wrong. Or were you being lighthearted.
  13. If yon don't drive or look like a chav, your car shouldn't get searched.
  14. If, on theother hand, you drive pissed and, upon being asked to blow in the bag, produce the item in question along with the phrase "I'll cut you, pig", expect a prosecution to follow.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I doubt a good and sensible reason would be "in case I crashed and needed to cut my seat belt in the OP case, what TheIronDuke's picture shows might get away with it.