Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for the computer nerds

An update.
First of all thanks to everybody for your replies, even the ones that were too techo for me to decipher.
What I have done is can Norton completely and reinstall the latest Malwarebytes programme.
This seems to have done the trick as the computer is now running lightning fast without any stuttering or freezing so far.
I have not yet installed any additional RAM, but will wait and see.
As far as AV software goes I will rely on Windows defender for now.
I am getting popups from Norton though, telling me that my current Norton programme is incompatible with W10, so it appears that something from them is still in the system but will just ignore it for now.
The knowledge on here astounds at times.
A big thank you from me as I was getting frustrated as hell.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
An update.
First of all thanks to everybody for your replies, even the ones that were too techo for me to decipher.
What I have done is can Norton completely and reinstall the latest Malwarebytes programme.
This seems to have done the trick as the computer is now running lightning fast without any stuttering or freezing so far.
I am getting popups from Norton though, telling me that my current Norton programme is incompatible with W10, so it appears that something from them is still in the system but will just ignore it for now.
The knowledge on here astounds at time.

Have you made sure you have cancelled any payment to Norton?

One thing that I've found keeps my lappy running good is to take it for a cleanup and dedusting of the cooling fans. The first time I did this it ran like a sprinter on amphetamines compared to what I'd been getting, and the helpful computer bod showed me how much dust he'd gotten out of the fan area, it was nearly clogging it. The only trouble was that access to the fan area is difficult, and not a "just" job for a tech thickie like myself.

Sometimes graphics cards failing just need a quick blast of something like WD40 contact cleaner to stop them overheating

Especially if you have pets the dust bunnies can get a bit manic

An update.
The knowledge on here astounds at times.
Run this: Download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You don't have to have RAM of the same capacity in each slot.
Once upon a time a PC needed paired Single Inline Memory Modules (SIMMs).

At some point the industry realised that shipping lumps in pairs saved having to pair them, and now memory comes in DIMMs.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whoosh, straight over the head.
For some internal reason I forget and you don't need to know, you need memory in identical lumps. By putting two identical lumps of RAM on a single card, you don't need pair cards. Anything compatible with the machine, lob it in a slot. (Maybe a trifle oversimplified.)

Download this, always update to the free version, cleans the crap from your computer and keeps it fast
It can trash your registry. Be careful...
1592906784802.png

Been using CC for about 10 years now and it does exactly as you say.
Never ever had any problems with it.
I use the Pro version of Advanced sysytemcare (from IOBit), I also occasionally run CCleaner free (I use the portable version). Never had a problem with either of them, both of them are described as conservative cleaners by Majorgeeks (well worth a look at that site) when using the default settings.

Never had much problem with CCleaner. Even with everything switched on it's not as radical as a lot of registry cleaners. There is now a school of thought that there is absolutely no need to clean out your registry. Any performance gain will be imperceptible and there is a good chance that sooner or later you will stuff something up.

It can still be used for cleaning out your cache and other bits and pieces.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't solely rely on Windows Defender - Avast and Malwarebytes are free and used in conjunction with WD should see you free of issues.

I've had one problem in over a decade of using them and it was the pc version of getting caught in a drive-by, from reading up on the issue subsequently.

I would still fit some extra memory though - for the £30-40 it will cost you you will notice a big difference in performance. I have another 16gb arriving over the next few days to be fitted to mine.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer