Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for the computer nerds

I will have it done next week and let you know.
You could be a genius using plain language like that.
You could start by downloading the free version of Revo-Uninstaller. It will show you every single program you have installed. *Selecting Chrome (for Example) and select Uninstall. Select deep scan, Revo will create a Restore point and then run Chromes own Uninstaller, follow the instructions to remove Chrome as normal.

Back in Revo the magic is what happens when you click next, Revo scans your System for any left over directory's, files, and hidden Registry settings. You will be surprised by the amount of **crap left over, it is entirely safe to select ALL and Delete. Select next again if the option is available and do the same. You may get a pop up saying some items will be removed after a restart, remove any other programs (like ***AVG, etc, etc) and then do your restart.

*I would suggest leaving anything with your Laptop Manufacturers name or anything Microsoft alone.

**the crap is what programs use to either reload itself on a reboot, or save your last known settings.

***You may need to use windows task manager and 'end task' to stop the program running first.

UKTAP

LE
Ditch any third party antivirus. Microsoft Defender is perfectly adequate. And free.

You've picked the two products I uninstall most frequently ;)
+1 for this. Third Party antivirus is the worst malware out there. They not only suck up a huge slice of your processing power and memory, but constantly harass you with pop-ups asking for money.

Most of the time, the reason they are on there is that they have been pre-installed by manufacturers as the anti-virus owners pay for them to be OEM.

Immediately and thoroughly remove any trace of Norton, McAfee etc and just rely on MS Windows Defender and updating frequently.

UKTAP

LE
*I would suggest leaving anything with your Laptop Manufacturers name ... alone.

I wouldn't. This is almost always utter shite. It even has a proper name 'Shovelware', or 'Crapware'.

The best bet when buying a system from a manufacture, if you have the Serial number for Windows 10, is to completely wipe the machine as soon as you get it and do a clean install of Windows 10 ONLY.

The stuff manufacturers bundle with their machines is utter bollocks that slows your machine down and exists only to try and extract money from you.

In my opinion..

Chrome has morphed into bloatware, always trying to predict what you may like, save what you've already seen, and record where you've been. It's shite.

Use Opera Lite instead.

Recently Microsoft released Edge for Win10, ironically it was built x Chrome.
It is fast and is now my go to for Netflix, YouTube, and when sites visited don't support Opera. I like it a lot.

I wouldn't. This is almost always utter shite. It even has a proper name 'Shovelware', or 'Crapware'.

The best bet when buying a system from a manufacture, if you have the Serial number for Windows 10, is to completely wipe the machine as soon as you get it and do a clean install of Windows 10 ONLY.

The stuff manufacturers bundle with their machines is utter bollocks that slows your machine down and exists only to try and extract money from you.
You are correct and I do the same, but when the OP states something like, "I know next to nothing about computers" I like keep things simple to begin with, and I wasn't talking about 'bundleware', I was referring to the installation of Wi-Fi. Audio, and other OEM drivers.

Last edited:
In my opinion..

Chrome has morphed into bloatware, always trying to predict what you may like, save what you've already seen, and record where you've been. It's shite.

Use Opera Lite instead.

Recently Microsoft released Edge for Win10, ironically it was built x Chrome.
It is fast and is now my go to for Netflix, YouTube, and when sites visited don't support Opera. I like it a lot.
Opera? Caveat emptor.

I have an Acer all in one desktop running W10.
It is less than 12 months old, so quite new and has only 4gb of RAM installed.
I am connected to the internet with a fast and stable fibre connection (100 m/s download speed}.
The problem that I am having is that the damn thing frequently freezes for two or three minutes at a time, also Chrome regularly comes up as not responding which also causes it to freeze.
It doesn't appear to be the internet connection causing the problem, but the computer itself doing it, as I have other devices on the same connection and they work just fine.
I am wondering if there is insufficient Ram installed and whether having more RAM in place would cure the problem as it is frustrating the living christ out me.

Any suggestions would be of great assistance.
Before you uninstall "everything" check this:

How to stop Windows 10 sharing updates with your internet connection.

Perhaps the OP might try a little basic housekeeping before getting out the screwdriver.

Try running chkdsk /r to make there are no errors on the hard disk. Then sfc /scannow to make sure the system files are not corrupted. Then how about defragging the drive? All this doesn't take very long and is completely free and ready to hand.

4 GB of RAM isn't great for Windows 10 but should do the job.... and I assume that it has done so in the in the past. Some AV software can be terrific memory hogs (as can some browsers - especially if they're running add-ons). If you run Windows Task Manager / Processes and click on the memory column, it'll give you an idea of what's eating up memory.

I have an Acer all in one desktop running W10.
It is less than 12 months old, so quite new and has only 4gb of RAM installed.
I am connected to the internet with a fast and stable fibre connection (100 m/s download speed}.
The problem that I am having is that the damn thing frequently freezes for two or three minutes at a time, also Chrome regularly comes up as not responding which also causes it to freeze.
It doesn't appear to be the internet connection causing the problem, but the computer itself doing it, as I have other devices on the same connection and they work just fine.
I am wondering if there is insufficient Ram installed and whether having more RAM in place would cure the problem as it is frustrating the living christ out me.

Any suggestions would be of great assistance.

I made the mistake of getting a Lenovo Ideapad with a 1tb SSD.
The 'mistake' was that it had 4gb RAM.
It ran like slow treacle.
I then bought an 8gb RAM which brought my machine up to 12 gb RAM.
Immediate difference and I do mean immediate, very fast for all applications.

You are correct and I do the same, but when the OP states something like, "I know next to nothing about computers" I like keep things simple to begin with, and I wasn't talking about 'bundleware', I was referring to the installation of Wi-Fi. Audio, and other OEM drivers.
Yes, plus one. Windows 10 can be rubbish at finding drivers for hardware. If I have to build a bunch of machines for work, I can guarantee some time going around reinstalling drivers after Windows decides to treat most graphics cards as Basic Display adaptors with no dual screen capability, or fail to install the USB controller, and so ignore local printers. Etc as tedium.

Yes, plus one. Windows 10 can be rubbish at finding drivers for hardware. If I have to build a bunch of machines for work, I can guarantee some time going around reinstalling drivers after Windows decides to treat most graphics cards as Basic Display adaptors with no dual screen capability, or fail to install the USB controller, and so ignore local printers. Etc as tedium.
Nutshell.
Much more eloquent than my explanation :cool:

Edited to add for the OP and others, if your not sure what it is Google it first.

Got to ask why your Group Policy doesn't stop it? A Win 10 LTSC easier to manage as well

Another question.
I have two slots for RAM, one has a 4 GB card in it, one is empty.
Do I have to have Ram cards of equal capacity in each slot or can I just put say an 8 GB card in the empty slot to bring the machine up to 12 GB?

bcsack

Old-Salt
Just read through the thread - although more ram will improve performance - you'd probably best just stick another 4gb in (RAM usually fitted in pairs). Uninstalling Norton often leaves sh*t behind - you need to use the Norton uninstall tool specifically designed to get the garbage out. Download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool
Stick with Defender for AV and run an occasional sweep with MWB free.
Try using a different browser (explorer, opera etc) see if you get the same issue - have you reset Chrome ? - cleared cache & cookies ?? Sometimes browsers need a complete uninstall / reinstall to get them working again.

endure

GCM
You don't have to have RAM of the same capacity in each slot.

Go to Crucial, stick your model number in and it will tell you the maximum amount of memory you can fit and offer the right memory for you to buy. Buy it directly from their website and they will give you a 10 year/lifetime warranty depending on which version you buy.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My Acer is shite, not enough memory to upgrade windows.
Looking at a few nerd sites is a known problem with this model and memory can't be upgraded

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I started to have no end of problem with chrome so I switched to opera for a while. the problem was often the little extensions you put in, the ad blockers and pop up stoppers than check all the shit they stick into web pages now.

chrome tends to fill up and start hanging with all those bits and pieces trying to phone home.

try another browser and turn off a lot of the stuff that is allowed to start with windows.

windows too fills up with old updates so do a cleanup.

Another question.
I have two slots for RAM, one has a 4 GB card in it, one is empty.
Do I have to have Ram cards of equal capacity in each slot or can I just put say an 8 GB card in the empty slot to bring the machine up to 12 GB?

That is exactly what I did.
Works perfectly.

My Acer is shite, not enough memory to upgrade windows.
Looking at a few nerd sites is a known problem with this model and memory can't be upgraded
Which model is it? And which version of Windows are you upgrading from and to?

Latest Threads