Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for the computer nerds

I have an Acer all in one desktop running W10.
It is less than 12 months old, so quite new and has only 4gb of RAM installed.
I am connected to the internet with a fast and stable fibre connection (100 m/s download speed}.
The problem that I am having is that the damn thing frequently freezes for two or three minutes at a time, also Chrome regularly comes up as not responding which also causes it to freeze.
It doesn't appear to be the internet connection causing the problem, but the computer itself doing it, as I have other devices on the same connection and they work just fine.
I am wondering if there is insufficient Ram installed and whether having more RAM in place would cure the problem as it is frustrating the living christ out me.

Any suggestions would be of great assistance.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
I regret that I don’t have an answer for you but I share your pain. ComdHomeFront and I both have Acers. 1 delivered with W10, the other upgraded from W8. They are good value, simple home/business machines, no gaming, lots of browsing. We both suffer from incredibly slow start-up times and hangs while working. I suspect but can’t prove that it is down to MS update protocols and the OS having a pi%%%%g match with Norton. Good luck finding a solution. We have sort of learned to live with it by making a fresh brew when it gets too bad. Ned.

I regret that I don’t have an answer for you but I share your pain. ComdHomeFront and I both have Acers. 1 delivered with W10, the other upgraded from W8. They are good value, simple home/business machines, no gaming, lots of browsing. We both suffer from incredibly slow start-up times and hangs while working. I suspect but can’t prove that it is down to MS update protocols and the OS having a pi%%%%g match with Norton. Good luck finding a solution. We have sort of learned to live with it by making a fresh brew when it gets too bad. Ned.

You could be right with that comment, hopefully someone will be along to help us both out.

I have an Acer all in one desktop running W10.
It is less than 12 months old, so quite new and has only 4gb of RAM installed.
I am connected to the internet with a fast and stable fibre connection (100 m/s download speed}.
The problem that I am having is that the damn thing frequently freezes for two or three minutes at a time, also Chrome regularly comes up as not responding which also causes it to freeze.
It doesn't appear to be the internet connection causing the problem, but the computer itself doing it, as I have other devices on the same connection and they work just fine.
I am wondering if there is insufficient Ram installed and whether having more RAM in place would cure the problem as it is frustrating the living christ out me.

Any suggestions would be of great assistance.

Which version of Windows is it, 32 bit or 64 bit.
If it's the 32 bit then 4 GB of RAM is the maximum addressable memory so any extra RAM you put in will just be ignored.

64 bit, W10 home version.

Have you tried opening Task Manager yet?
Right click the windows task bar and select task manager. From there you can check the resources being used: cpu usage, memory usage disc activity etc.
Might be worth checking to see if the memory is used up.

Uninstall all Norton components and reboot. That should fix it.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Slow start-up will be vastly improved by booting from a SSD rather than a HDD. My old Dell is up in 8sec.

Shove data (and non-speed-critical apps, to save space for those that need it) on the HDD gives you the added benefit that if the system disk dies, the HDD isn't going to get wiped by a factory reset. Sort the system, carry on normal jogging.

Otherwise, use Windows as presented. If your machine dies, it's easier to plonk the HDD into a new machine and carry on jogging.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Uninstall all Norton components and reboot. That should fix it.
IBM dropped Norton cos it's a memory hog.

I dropped Norton because it demanded a year's subscription after 11 months, and bringing my access to a halt until I paid the ransom, and they were robbing me blind of a month's subscription every year. I called them robbing bastids to their face. They didn't even deign to reply.

Have you tried opening Task Manager yet?
Right click the windows task bar and select task manager. From there you can check the resources being used: cpu usage, memory usage disc activity etc.
Might be worth checking to see if the memory is used up.
You can also see what is running at startup, much of which can be disabled but check first...

It is not necessarily happening at startup (as far as I can tell) but is happening when browsing when you click on an item.
The other thing is when it freezes, I cannot do anything until the little blue circle stops galloping around and the screen comes back to life, sometimes 5 minutes.

As kelvin_273 said,use the task manager. I would also recommend checking the startups. One of the tabs in Task manager is startup. Disable everything except Microsoft processes, restart, and see if that helps.

I hear what you say but we had precisely the same issue when we were using Mcafee. Hence the move to Norton.
Ditch any third party antivirus. Microsoft Defender is perfectly adequate. And free.

You've picked the two products I uninstall most frequently ;)

Ditch any third party antivirus. Microsoft Defender is perfectly adequate. And free.

You've picked the two products I uninstall most frequently ;)
Yes I invariably uninstall those two, AVG is good and free. Task manager can also be opened using CTRL ALT DEL, select task manager.

Ideally W10 should have 8GB of RAM to work happily and has been mentioned a SSD will make all the difference if you don’t have one installed.
I also have to ask What processor you’re laptop has as this too can make a lovely bottleneck if you have one of the lower end Intel/AMD offerings (more RAM and SSD will offset this).
Also mentioned is your security software. Whilst many modern AV packages are nice and light on resources these days, but not all play nice. Try going into your scan settings and stopping things like daily file system checks as these can produce the effects you are seeing.

Ideally W10 should have 8GB of RAM to work happily and has been mentioned a SSD will make all the difference if you don’t have one installed.
I also have to ask What processor you’re laptop has as this too can make a lovely bottleneck if you have one of the lower end Intel/AMD offerings (more RAM and SSD will offset this).
Also mentioned is your security software. Whilst many modern AV packages are nice and light on resources these days, but not all play nice. Try going into your scan settings and stopping things like daily file system checks as these can produce the effects you are seeing.
Which reminded me that if you have a program installed that saves to the cloud these can severely disrupt things, especially the first time they run as they try to upload everything. Synchronising subsequently should be painless but first time OMG!

I am not a total biff with this technology but almost.
A lot of these suggestions whilst no doubt good, are starting to make my head hurt as I have no idea how to carry them out.

tgo

War Hero
As said 4GB is a bit of a joke these days, shame on the manufacturer for taking the piss, really anything beyond basic stuff should be 16GB.

If you're greed y like me have 32 :D

I am not a total biff with this technology but almost.
A lot of these suggestions whilst no doubt good, are starting to make my head hurt as I have no idea how to carry them out.
SSD is Solid State Drive, much faster than a normal Hard Disk. I have an SSD for windows which the machine boots from and use a normal HDD for storage. My latest acquisition is a Lenovo Lappie with the new AMD Ryzen chip, its very good. 256Gb SSD , when I open the lid it starts up, touch the fingerprint reader and I'm into windows, around 5 seconds from wanting to use the lappie to using it, 1Tb HDD.

Latest Threads