A question for the armourers

G

Goku

I’ve been using Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning virtually anything and everything.
It’s amazing stuff and I’m now wondering if I could use it for cleaning the carbon from my rifle.

Before I try this, can anyone advise if it is likely to cause any damage?

It is unlikely to cause damage to your rifle, but may cause damage to you!
8O
The areas where you get carbon buildup are hard metal, which if rubbed with alcohol are unlikely to be corroded. However, the trouble is, if this alcohol has any corrosive properties, and you don't rub it off, prolonged use can cause damage to the rifle. Also, as an aside, the use of OX24 not only assists in cleaning, but acts as a very good lubricant.

Recently I did a trial on the .50QCB and tested a number of "other" cleaning and lubricating substances, admittingly, not the product you mentioned, but LCPs (Lubes Cleaners and Protectors), graphite greese and spray oils. Tests done in a controlled environment at 52 degrees, and all of them caused the RoF on the QCB to drop compaired to OX24.

"Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, U.S.P. / B.P. contains 68-99% of isopropyl alcohol, by volume, the remainder consisting of water, with or without colour additives, suitable stabilizers, and perfume oils. Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma.

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol is poisonous and can cause permanent disabling illness or death if consumed.

Isopropyl alcohol should be used in a well-ventilated area. Some cautions go so far as to say protective gloves should be worn while using it. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption." :x

My advise, stick with OX24 like your supposed to. :)

Yeah, what he said. OX24 is designed to do the job, as opposed to Jenolite, Fospro, WD40, linseed oil, Kero, diesel, swanvesta match heads graphite grease, XG279, and toothpaste. All of which I've either seen being used or been asked if they're any use.

The answer's always been "NO you fcuktard", by the way.

My answer is always "don't be a lazy w@nker". If you're that lazy buy your friendly armourer a beer or 10 and he'll probably give you a spare set of gas parts. Well, I used to :)

wheelnut said:
Hi all

We are a mil veh club (imvg.org) and we have two chieftains , we are having a problem with one of them in that when you try to power traverse the turret the main gun just goes to full depression.We have gone through the manual and it tells us nothing...so stumped or stupid ...we need help.
Start a new thread dumb paddy.

Probably a question for Picatinny, (never could spell it....) What was wrong with OX18 that it had to be replaced by OX24? On another lube question is it correct that you cannot use CLP in mortar barrels as it leaves residue as it has PTFE in? Wow, what kind of a spotter am I??!!

As far as I know the difference between OX18 and 24 is that 24 is a more refined oil, could be wrong though!

Geek Glasses On! 8)

OX 24 has a higher pour point at lower temperatures (its runnier!) and as has been mentioned previous, is more refined as it does contain synthetic additives such as polyalphaolefin (limits rust forming!).

OX18 is still used but mainly for lubrication of ejector seat and missile guides!!

Glasses Off!

pupgreen said:
use the american oil..coca cola.. shifts carbon off gas parts..
I refer my honourable colleague to my "No, you Fcuktard" answer given previously on a related matter.

Vinegar seems to do the job if you're pressed for time. The little sachets that you get in the scoffhouse are great.

pupgreen said:
shifts carbon.and you get to drink it after..
Rockstar said:
Vinegar seems to do the job if you're pressed for time. The little sachets that you get in the scoffhouse are great.
You pair are clearly skip licking knob-jockeys.

just do what stabby does and put new working parts in your gat every time your supposed to clean it oh and try not to get cuaght by the SPSI doing that hey stabby

balldrick said:
just do what stabby does and put new working parts in your gat every time your supposed to clean it oh and try not to get cuaght by the SPSI doing that hey stabby
Fuck off. At least I clean the old ones for next time, unlike stealing them from the band.

StabTiffy2B said:
Fuck off. At least I clean the old ones for next time, unlike stealing them from the band.
Well I am not the only one to do it and they havent noticed in 3 years have they as the muppets havent even put a uniform on in 9 years let alone picked up a rifle although i am running out of band weapons to rob will have to start on the REME rifles soon

balldrick said:
StabTiffy2B said:
Well I am not the only one to do it and they havent noticed in 3 years have they as the muppets havent even put a uniform on in 9 years let alone picked up a rifle although i am running out of band weapons to rob will have to start on the REME rifles soon
It's not like I can stop you as you spend your entire life in the TAC.

You fucking loser.

StabTiffy2B said:
It's not like I can stop you as you spend your entire life in the TAC.

You fucking loser.
bite me jug ear :D

oh feck no dont bite me not with them shovels you call teeth :D :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Weapons, Equipment & Rations 13
ugly REME 5
R REME 32