A question for plod.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Ravers, Nov 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    My mate has a slight predicament, it's looking quite likely that he may be forced to commit a traffic offence in the near future. Now before he does this, he'd quite like to know what sort of penalty he could be looking at if he gets caught.

    Basically he purchased a brand new unregistered, imported motorcycle a few weeks back. In the process of registering it, the DVLA have been utter ***** and are ******* him about no end. Thus far he has had 3 separate trips to their regional office to sort this out and they still haven't sent him through his registration docs and tax disc. They also won't answer any of his phone calls. It's been a month since he first tried to register the bike. All his paperwork checks out, the bike was built for the UK market and has a certificate of conformity, there are already quite a few of them on the road which are identical to his. He has also taken out insurance to ride the bike using the chassis number to identify it.

    Last week he received a letter informing him that he now has to bring the bike to their office for inspection. Unfortunately, he doesn't own a van or low loader and the only way he can get the bike up there is to either pay a fortune to have it delivered to their offices or to ride it negative number plates. He doesn't really fancy pushing it 17 miles.

    Theoretically if my mate were to ride the bike unregistered and without plates and were caught, what sort of penalty could he be facing? Bare in mind, he is insured, he has paid for road tax and the bike conforms to all UK standards. If he were to be pulled over by the old bill, he would have in his possession a valid licence, insurance documents and correspondence from the DVLA, proving he is on his way to their office.

    Any feedback from serving plodders or those in the know would be much appreciated and I will pass it on to my mate.
  2. Will they accept photographs with your mate clearly visible on them including pictures of your mate on them? They were happy to accept pictures of my Bedford conversion which was unregistered
  3. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    My mate has tried to telephone them on 4 occasions to find out if this is possible, however they have not returned any of his calls.

    Edited to add: Bedford conversion? Like a camper van? My mum has a Bedford HA Roma.

  4. There may well be an exemption, I believe you can drive a car on the road without an MOT if you are en route to a booked appointment at the MOT centre.

    You/he could try picking up the phone and seeing if you can get through to your local traffic plod office. Not strictly their problem, but they live for rules and regs and probably won't be able to resist the challenge of rooting out the answer.

    Failing that, a vehicle restoration society should be familiar with the rules.

    Best of luck.
  5. Hire a van for a day?
  6. Get up there and make the appointment.
    Get a contact number and confirm it works by phoning it when he gets back to his car.
    Then Hire a van.
  7. If the vehicle is not registered he would not be able to get it taxed or insured. To tax a vehicle it must have a valid MOT, for which it must have plates and therefore be registered.

    MOT wise, a vehicle can be driven without an MOT if it is going to a pre-arranged MOT test.

    In this case, if stopped, he would be prosecuted for no insurance, no MOT, driving an unlicensed vehicle - the bike would be seized and the financial and potential conviction implications would far outweigh the cost of about £50 to hire a van.
  8. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    He has considered doing this however the cost of renting one at such short notice is a bit of a piss take. So far he has driven over 100 miles in 3 round trips and paid a further £55 to register the bike. To have to rent a van as well is kind of a joke.
  9. Without a registation he can't tax it? and without tax it will not be inlines with the insurance so don't risk it hire a trailer for £50

    Who ever imported the bike should have had it registered in the UK before he can pass it onto your mate, going through something similar with a split camper :) as Mr VAT will be very interested in the duty owed to him by the importer :)
  10. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    When he paid the initial registration fee he also paid for the road tax, technically if he has paid for tax on this vehicle then it is taxed?

    He'd love to hire a trailer but he doesn't have a B+E entitlement on his licence as he is a sprog who passed his test after 1997.
  11. Who did he pay the road tax too?

    If he has paid it then it is already registered in the UK so there should be no problem?
  12. My above, just reread the last post.

    He may have paid the road tax to DVLA but the vehicle is not on their system so is not road taxed yet, they have to see the vehicle and all accompanying documents including the import document in order to give it a registration number, it’ll then get taxed.

    I'll find the import info off the DVLA website it explains it all there.

    Where was it purchased?
  13. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    **** em ride it around as much as he likes and if the plod stop him tell them he's a "traveller" and they'll let him go.
  14. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    The company who were originally importing the bikes went bust and sold off their remaining stock. My mate managed to get one on the cheap. It came with all the correct documentation, certificate of conformity, type approval, import docs, customs & excise receipts etc. The DVLA have all of these documents along with his insurance cover note.

    He is currently looking at van options but would like all arrsers to know that he thinks the DVLA are all ***** of the highest order.
  15. Insurance can be obtained on the frame number. Borrow trade plates for the tax. MoT is not endorsable nor is it a fixed penalty so the chances of plod/CPS going to the cost of a summons for a penalty of about £30 is negligible.