A question about dogs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jan 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all, I'd better apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where would be best for this one.

My missus has a daschund, which is a nice little dog, but is a bit yappy, and will go off on one at the drop of a hat. This is mildly annoying sometimes, especially if he goes mental in the middle of the night because of a spider.

I've been offered a dalmation/labrador cross pup (well quite a big pup, as he's eight months old). I wouldn't mind getting it, but I'm a bit woried that he'll pick up the same bizarre behavioural traits as the daschund.

Is this likely? Or am I being over cautious?

Does anyone have experience of this type of cross breed? I know labs are great to train, but I've no idea about dalmations.

Am I likely to have a hard time training an eight month old dog? Or would I be better getting something younger?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. I heard that Dalmations suffered from blindness and deafness, plus need more pizz than the yappy thing.

Go for gold and get a lab;-p
  3. Dogs are like humans each ones different I have a similar problem wit my terrier the lurcher just looks and doesn't bother to join in barking if anything having the other dog if it's fairly chilled out should have a calming affect on the other mutt and it's never too late to train a dog as long as there's some tasty treats for doing it they learn very quickly(took my terrier 10 mins to learn to fetch post and another 10 mins to sit,then lie down and roll over)and he was around 6 at the time
  4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I hope this isn't a WAH!

I have to agree with you on the Daschund breed in general, My son has one that acts just like the one you describe. Nasty!

My daughter has two Dalmations, that are spoiled rotten. She loves the breed and has had three of them so far. They seem to be nice dogs.

My favorite breed is the Bull Terrier! I have a 12 year old white female Miniature Bull Terrier. She has been a great dog, very friendly and tolerates a family cat and gets along well with other dogs. I'll stay with the This breed.

Mixed breeds, have the reputation of being less high strung, with fewer medical problems, etc.

My advice to you if you take the dog, is to sign up for a basic dog obedience training course. Take the time to do this with your dog. It will be good for both of you! It's never to early or late for obedience training!

I didn't do this with my Bully; however, I did with the two Rottweilers, that I had for many years. (Both died of old age at 13 & 14 Years old)

I took them through both basic and advanced obedience training and one into tracking and protection training.

I think it's better to attend an obedience class with other dogs and people present during the training, as it better socializes your dog, which IMHO is the most important thing for a dog to learn is how to interact with other dogs and people in public, etc.
  5. My dag ( a yappy Sheltie) goes off on any humanbeing that's darker than the original holiday sun tan.
    I don't know if it's ingrained in the breed or that it's just down to good training...
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

This isn't an uncommon trait with many dogs!

I have seen dogs get aggressive with blacks, other different races, (Not common to them.) people with Down syndrome, especially children, females having their menstrual cycle and people in uniforms, (Here in the USA, especially Postal delivery persons.)
  7. As with most things it tends to be a balance of nature and nurture.

I have 3 dogs 1 flat coat retriever - fantastic breed, but slightly stupid and very licky

amd 2 springer spaniels. 1 is very timid and barks at leaves, the other fetches, sits and is far more trainable despite being a puppy.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you werent in Denmark my wife would call round and sort out the lwb rat for you, she is a canine psychologist.
  9. Have you been well trained Ugly? 8O
  10. If you want an easy going, laid back, non barking dog, get a lurcher. An almost maintenance free dog. Mine is 22 months and sleeps for 20 hours a day. I got him through this lot:

Lurcher link
  11. i have two boxer dogs and i have the same problem.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'll get the wife to look at this thread and she may be able to help!
  13. Try stamping in the middle of its back and following it up with prising its jaws apart until the bottom one pops right off....

Letting an animal rule your life is akin to presenting your testicles to the womens institute...

just f ucking kill it and buy something useful instead.
  14. Can't stand dogs, but do remember a joke with the punchline

"Have you ever watched a Dachshund with a hard-on trying to climb stairs". Made me giggle