A question about blood pressure

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RancidFat, Mar 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have high blood pressure and take atenolol, I have my BP taken at the doctors regular basis. Yesterday my BP was taken and the upper of the measurements (systolic ?) was OK but the lower measurement (diastolic ?) was as the Doc said "way to low". She has increased my dosage of atenolol.

I have googled BP & atenolol but can't seem to find the answer to this question "what is having a low second measurement called and does this mean that the blood being returned to the heart is slow ?"

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Do you mean the Atenolol has been decreased. The lower measurement is called the "diastolic".
  3. THIS might explain the physiology. Or you can google "heart, diastole and systole".
  4. Thanks, for answering. This is whats worrying me she has doubled my dosage of atenolol. I take the atenolol to lower my BP. I assumed that although I thought having a lower diastolic measurement meant I now had low BP, which I assumed would mean less atenolol, I can't find anywhere that says it's low BP so am I making some mistake in my assumptions.

Maybe I'll call the NHS helpline.
  5. I am not a doctor, so I wouldn't want to advise. I am an (early)-retired Psyche Nurse, who takes Atenolol, Amlodipine and Lisinopril, to keep my blood pressure controlled. There are initiatives for GP consultations to take place over the phone. I would suggest you phone your GP surgery and, either speak to her, or get her to phone you with an explanation. It does sound bizarre to increase the dose.
  6. In a nutshell the pressure on the diastolic is caused by the elasticity of the venous system, which can be reduced by among other things smoking. Lowering the systolic by increasing your dosage does not seem logical to me, but then again WTF do I know?
  7. Atenolol is a beta blocker Lisinopril is an ace inhibitor it's supposed to make your blood vessels soft and sqidgy so the heart is working less. Amlodopine is a calcium blocker (I think) that does the same.. It should maintain your BP at a lower but consistent rate. Bovvy's right increasing atenolol would lower your BP more.

I've taken those for 10 years for lisinopril, 7 on amlodopine and 5 years on atenolol. Every time I have a "bad turn" they add another pill. My BP is consistent 110/70. I was told as a rule of thumb normal BP is Systolic 100 + your age, diastolic is half that.

Are you taking nitrates too GTN will put your BP in your boots.

Incidently the RBL did a survey. It seems most ex servicemen in their late 40's on, top the league for heart problems, followed by orthpopedic problems. I had a real good heart attack just over 10 years ago, complete battery charger job. I woke up 5 days later and the f***ing Adams family had moved into Downing Street
  8. Have rung the NHS Helpline and they are going to get back to me. Had to tell them my ethnic origin ...so I said Black Chinese.
  9. Buy a cat, they are supposed to be great for lowering BP, failing that as a black Chinese, you have a ready meal.
  10. Contrary to PC nonsense, all men are not created equal. Your ethnicity may have significance in any diagnosis/prognosis.
  11. Understand what you are saying, but I had the choice of not saying what ethnic type I was as it was for "monitoring reasons only". I thought they'd be low on the quota for Black Chinese.
  12. True. Black Americans are more likely to be shot dead by police.
  13. Have you got the data to support this or a link? The reason I ask is I have been informed that Black Afro-carribeans top the league for heart problems.
  14. It's on the RBL site. It was a survey they had conducted or are condcting. I read it earlier this year though.

Although I believe it was like for like civilans. There are more 45 year old ex squaddies with bad hearts than 45 year old civvies. Same for other health problems

I imediately thought.basta*d thats me

Also the SPVA does not acknowledge stress as a criterea in heart attack victims. I got that in writing from them. Based upon a study during the Korean war.
  15. Thats cheered me up then 8O