A problem

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by gorilla, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here is the sitrep,

In my parents house they have a computer in each of the 2 bedrooms, only one of them is connected to a printer. How would I go about getting both computers to use the same printer?

Many thanks :D

2. Network cable (ugly) or wireless.

I noticed at the weekend that PC World has an HP (I think) box that plugs into the printer and connects it to the rest of the world. Obviously aimed at the laptop world. Have a gander at that!

Litotes

3. Stick whatever you want printing onto a memory stick and then pop next door to the other 'puter and print from there.

4. msr

msr LE

Assuming they are both connected to each other: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596

msr

5. simple but clumsy, send the doc to yourself in an email then log on the other puter and print.

6. If they have net access on both, via a router, its easy to do and no extra hardware / software required?

If not, your only real options are as people have said. Wire them together, get the kit to connect them wireless or use something like a USB stick.

7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Options are

Memory stick or Email
    Quick and simple but hardly elegant

Get on a network and share the printer in software
    If connected to the internet via a router, use cables. Probably the simplest option, select the printer and share it via its properties. The router will have Ethernet ports so by whatever means connect up using cables. Make sure both PC's are on the same workgroup.

If connected to the internet via a wireless router then its the same method just a different means of connection

You might also be able to connect up using Powerline networking that avoids the need for network cabling.

With this method the PC connected to the printer has to be on for the remote one to use it.

Print Server
    This is a device that sits on the network and shares the printer it is attached to so the printer would be detached from one of the PC's and attached to this.

Of course all the PC's and printer server would have to be on the network and switched on to use it but if only one PC is switched on then the print server would still work

You can get wired or wireless print servers that can connect to the printer via old fashioned parallel or USB.

Some printers have built in print servers as well

8. Probably the simplest remedy if you only print occasionally, otherwise a more permanent solution such as plug-in mains network adapters (about £30 each) and need no cabling or routers.