• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

A possible opportunity to replenish the Officer Corps

#1
Seeing as 1) we have a massive shortage of Young Officers in the TA and 2) there is still funding for certain elements of training, is now the time to be sending the keener and younger members off to the Bde OTW?

msr
 
#3
Against which spirit? We desperately need Offrs, we have a number of people who would make the grade and they would be grateful for a few sovs?

Seems to me everyone is a winner.

msr
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#5
Bugger the spirit, Brown and his cronies have broken the spirit of the covenant and of our contracts with them: Wouldn't it be nice if we could take ZaNU Labour's rules apply them to the letter and actually end up spending more money than they are designed to save. Then take the bill to that dullard Brown and poke his other eye out with it.
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#6
BuggerAll said:
Bugger the spirit, Brown and his cronies have broken the spirit of the covenant and of our contracts with them: Wouldn't it be nice if we could take ZaNU Labour's rules apply them to the letter and actually end up spending more money than they are designed to save. Then take the bill to that dullard Brown and poke his other eye out with it.
You really are struggling with the whole budget management and application of control totals piece, aren't you?

At the first sign of these budget control measures failing to achieve what they need to achieve, more cutbacks will be imposed to bring things back on track.

What would you like cut (out of what little remains) to make up for your idea?

Recruit training or PDT for those due to put themselves into the firing line next?
 
#8
I would love the opportunity but at 45 some would say I am over the hill, however I would like to be one of the instructors, It would be good for the long term to have a good supply of trained and qualified young officers for the long term goals.
 
#9
msr said:
Not necessarily. Speak to your OC if you are interested as they can make exemptions.

msr
To add;

DIN 2009DIN01-165: Selection Regulations – Army Officer Selection Board - states that Serving Soldiers (inc TA less OTC) provided they meet the GCSE criteria will be assessed by the Army School of Education for main board attempts.

And for your Brief a Soldier entrant only needs the GCSE quals according to TA Regs.
 
#10
Mongoose said:
msr said:
Not necessarily. Speak to your OC if you are interested as they can make exemptions.

msr
To add;

DIN 2009DIN01-165: Selection Regulations – Army Officer Selection Board - states that Serving Soldiers (inc TA less OTC) provided they meet the GCSE criteria will be assessed by the Army School of Education for main board attempts.

And for your Brief a Soldier entrant only needs the GCSE quals according to TA Regs.
And what does it say about the upper age limit
 
#11
Goody1964 said:
Mongoose said:
msr said:
Not necessarily. Speak to your OC if you are interested as they can make exemptions.

msr
To add;

DIN 2009DIN01-165: Selection Regulations – Army Officer Selection Board - states that Serving Soldiers (inc TA less OTC) provided they meet the GCSE criteria will be assessed by the Army School of Education for main board attempts.

And for your Brief a Soldier entrant only needs the GCSE quals according to TA Regs.
And what does it say about the upper age limit
8. Age:

a. Applicants must be no younger than 18 years when attending the Main Board and normally no older than 28 years and 6 months in order to allow attendance at RMAS (Regular CC) before their 29th birthday.

b. Applicants for TA DE Commissions must be over both 18 and under 35 years on completion of TACC.

c. Applicants for all other Boards must meet the criteria laid down in the relevant Chapter in ACRs 2009.
 
#12
msr said:
Goody1964 said:
Mongoose said:
msr said:
Not necessarily. Speak to your OC if you are interested as they can make exemptions.

msr
To add;

DIN 2009DIN01-165: Selection Regulations – Army Officer Selection Board - states that Serving Soldiers (inc TA less OTC) provided they meet the GCSE criteria will be assessed by the Army School of Education for main board attempts.

And for your Brief a Soldier entrant only needs the GCSE quals according to TA Regs.
And what does it say about the upper age limit
8. Age:

a. Applicants must be no younger than 18 years when attending the Main Board and normally no older than 28 years and 6 months in order to allow attendance at RMAS (Regular CC) before their 29th birthday.

b. Applicants for TA DE Commissions must be over both 18 and under 35 years on completion of TACC.

c. Applicants for all other Boards must meet the criteria laid down in the relevant Chapter in ACRs 2009.
So much for the diversity and equality policies, lol.
 
#13
msr said:
Seeing as 1) we have a massive shortage of Young Officers in the TA and 2) there is still funding for certain elements of training, is now the time to be sending the keener and younger members off to the Bde OTW?

msr
I was led to believe last night that all Officer training had been binned. I'm 49 Brigade if that's of any consequence...?

As this is something I'm really wanting to crack on with any info on this would be brilliant.

Cheers. :)
 
#14
Karl_uk said:
msr said:
Seeing as 1) we have a massive shortage of Young Officers in the TA and 2) there is still funding for certain elements of training, is now the time to be sending the keener and younger members off to the Bde OTW?

msr
I was led to believe last night that all Officer training had been binned. I'm 49 Brigade if that's of any consequence...?

As this is something I'm really wanting to crack on with any info on this would be brilliant.

Cheers. :)
Never mind your PSI, speak to your OC :)
 
#15
I expressed an interest when I joined but no one at my unit seems to give a stuff (they're all worried about losing thier own jobs).

As a result, after 6 months I haven't even had an initial interview.

Are the educational requirements rigid? I was a bit of a lazy git at school but made up for it in my career!

I got GCSE's but stuffed up English. I could always take that again though.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#16
The_Duke said:
BuggerAll said:
Bugger the spirit, Brown and his cronies have broken the spirit of the covenant and of our contracts with them: Wouldn't it be nice if we could take ZaNU Labour's rules apply them to the letter and actually end up spending more money than they are designed to save. Then take the bill to that dullard Brown and poke his other eye out with it.
You really are struggling with the whole budget management and application of control totals piece, aren't you?

At the first sign of these budget control measures failing to achieve what they need to achieve, more cutbacks will be imposed to bring things back on track.

What would you like cut (out of what little remains) to make up for your idea?

Recruit training or PDT for those due to put themselves into the firing line next?
I was joking - weak humour I'll admit, but its one of my ways of dealing with being kicked in the teeth.
 
#17
msr,

Though OTWs are still running I think they will have considerable problems continuing the same level of training, as they rely heavily on support from other units. The OC of one such OTW said something along the lines of "expected to do a good deal more than we're funded for" when asked about the training system.

That said there will almost certainly be fewer UOTC candidates to cram onto courses - but fewer coming across to TA units as well!
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#18
BuggerAll said:
The_Duke said:
BuggerAll said:
Bugger the spirit, Brown and his cronies have broken the spirit of the covenant and of our contracts with them: Wouldn't it be nice if we could take ZaNU Labour's rules apply them to the letter and actually end up spending more money than they are designed to save. Then take the bill to that dullard Brown and poke his other eye out with it.
You really are struggling with the whole budget management and application of control totals piece, aren't you?

At the first sign of these budget control measures failing to achieve what they need to achieve, more cutbacks will be imposed to bring things back on track.

What would you like cut (out of what little remains) to make up for your idea?

Recruit training or PDT for those due to put themselves into the firing line next?
I was joking - weak humour I'll admit, but its one of my ways of dealing with being kicked in the teeth.
On re-reading I did get a glimmer of dark humour - sorry. The basic problem remains though - the more people attempt to "work around" the restrictions, the more restrictions will have to be imposed later.
 
#19
Would it be fair to suggest that you are less likely to find a deployment opportunity as an officer, and if you want to have a busy six months you might want to volunteer for a deployment in your current rank?
 
#20
msr said:
Karl_uk said:
msr said:
Seeing as 1) we have a massive shortage of Young Officers in the TA and 2) there is still funding for certain elements of training, is now the time to be sending the keener and younger members off to the Bde OTW?

msr
I was led to believe last night that all Officer training had been binned. I'm 49 Brigade if that's of any consequence...?

As this is something I'm really wanting to crack on with any info on this would be brilliant.

Cheers. :)
Never mind your PSI, speak to your OC :)
So I guess you dont agree to the chain of command PSI are worth their weight in gold and reccomending someone goes around a SNCO is the not the right way, Oh dear not good working practice or advice
 

Latest Threads

New Posts