A policemans life

Many are ranting about the death penalty being re-enstated for the murder of a policeman.

I'm all for the death sentence in proven cases of murder, kidnap peadophilia etc, but what makes a policemans life more valuable than joe average.

Noone called for the death penalty when soldiers were being killed at two a month, they were serving and doing thier duty also.

Yes its a tragedy, yes the culprits should be punished to the full extent of the law, but no more so than if they had shot Mrs bioler from 42 Endsleigh gardens.

Thoughts?

Mighty_doh_nut said:
Many are ranting about the death penalty being re-enstated for the murder of a policeman.

I'm all for the death sentence in proven cases of murder, kidnap peadophilia etc, but what makes a policemans life more valuable than joe average.

Noone called for the death penalty when soldiers were being killed at two a month, they were serving and doing thier duty also.

Yes its a tragedy, yes the culprits should be punished to the full extent of the law, but no more so than if they had shot Mrs bioler from 42 Endsleigh gardens.

Thoughts?
I don't think that a Policeman/womans life is any more valued than another. But for a person to take the life a of a Police officer shows total lack of respect for law and order that the Police are there to instill in society. If any person is placed in a position where they are policing society, including soldiers when on Op Tours then the death penalty should stand.

There is a difference between the Police and the Army in this instance. The police do not regularly carry. The Army do obviously whilst on Ops. Personally I feel that the death sentence for killing a copper on duty should be a capital offence. It would keep a few sh*theads off the streets, and we wouldn't have to pay to look after them in nick. BTW Mr do_nut, i've just looked at BELM and it is gone.

extankie said:
But for a person to take the life a of a Police officer shows total lack of respect for law and order that the Police are there to instill in society.
So does the murder of a little old lady not equally show a lack of respect for the law? whether someone is killed enforcing the law or someone is killed that the law is there to protect should it matter?

Guru
Many of the soldiers killed weren't carrying either. Especially the ones killed on the UK and mainland and BAOR

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the death sentence, but for murder on the whole... One mans life isn't more valuable than another, no matter what thier role, job, title.......... Unless they are a jock or a pikey :D

I believe that the reason that the murder of a police officer was deemed a capital offence is that it would make a criminal think twice before physically assaulting a pursuing police officer after they'd committed a non-capital offence. It's not a statement of a police officer's life being more important than the average Joe, nor was it a punishment per se, more that it would offer some protection to a servant of the state in the prosecution of their duty.

I shouldn't think the threat of cpaital punishment would deter a homocidal (spelling?!) criminal from murdering anyone, whether they be police, army or civilian. But capital punishment should be in place for those who are true murderers other such heinous crimes...why should we pay for the life of a piece of crap to sit in jail?

tsar_Nikolas said:
I shouldn't think the threat of cpaital punishment would deter a homocidal (spelling?!) criminal from murdering anyone...
Agreed, which is why I said a criminal who'd committed a non-capital offence. The death sentence as a deterrent from killing an agent of the state doesn't work if it's also the sentence for the offence that's been committed - after all, you can't kill someone twice - but if someone commits murder knowing that they'll only get a gaol term, the threat of the loss of their life if they kill the pursuing police officers might make them think twice, unless they're a real psychopath, which thankfully few of us are.

Dohnut
The squaddies killed not carrying were not on duty at the time. That is plain and simple murder. Bring it back, dozybint is right, the deterence would make people think. It might be interesting to see how many of the so called copkillers were immigrants, and by that I mean asylum seekers etc.

Its not the police officer (or prisoner officers) life that is more valuable, it is the fact that they were acting in the course of their duty. I don't think anyone is saying that the killer of a an off-duty officer in circumstances not connected to their employment should be executed. But I am anti-death penalty (accept for treason) anyway.

Trotsky

B

Biscuits_AB

Mighty_doh_nut said:
extankie said:
But for a person to take the life a of a Police officer shows total lack of respect for law and order that the Police are there to instill in society.
So does the murder of a little old lady not equally show a lack of respect for the law? whether someone is killed enforcing the law or someone is killed that the law is there to protect should it matter?

Guru
Many of the soldiers killed weren't carrying either. Especially the ones killed on the UK and mainland and BAOR

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the death sentence, but for murder on the whole... One mans life isn't more valuable than another, no matter what thier role, job, title.......... Unless they are a jock or a pikey :D
Well, that's Gunny sorted then, who's next for the chop?

the_guru said:
Dohnut
The squaddies killed not carrying were not on duty at the time.
Guru, I could list a number of soldiers on duty who were killed and weren't carrying but its futile. Its like saying if that policewoman was in the canteen having a brew when she was gunned down it would be different.

My original questions was whether or not a policemans life is more valuable than anyone else.

Murder is murder whether you are upholding the law or licking fridge magnets. A traffic warden upholds the law so if one of them is shot should they expect the death penalty too? Same with a High court Bailiff.... where is the line drawn?

Where's the line drawn? Hang all of the murderers ,rapists and kiddy fiddlers!

I'm foaming at the mouth...

Rowums said:
Where's the line drawn? Hang all of the murderers ,rapists and kiddy fiddlers!
Agreed!

All of them, not just the ones who fiddle coppers kids

Not a pop at the old bill, they roll the dice and take thier chances the same way we chose to when we enlisted.

This is difficult, however, the death penalty is wrong. Just one wrong verdict by a jury, just one, make`s it wrong.
If I could absolutely guarantee that a conviction was correct then i`ll controll the hatch latch. but there have been wrong covictions.
Just lock the fu**ers up for the whole of their lives and if they happen to have an uncomfortable time, well you should`nt have commited the crime if you cant take a joke.

This applies here in the US, more then the UK, however, I shall try and explain things. If a person is willing to take on an armed police officer, with training, etc, what is that person likily to do too an unarmed populace? I'm not saying my life is more important then yours, or anyone else's. Its more of a public safety issue, then anything else.

A life for a life, however you really really need to be certain you have got the right culprit, we can't just hang/shoot/gas/poison just french rioter/chav we want to, or can we?.....

What about innocent people killed by undeterred murderers, and those out on parole? Surely this outweighs the number of innocent people who would be both convicted AND executed?

It is interesting to note that from 1900 to 1949, the UK executed an average of only 14.5 people per year.

Forensics nowadays are more than likely to catch a criminal and prove he was the one "Wot did it". A deterrant is there for a purpose. If one wishes to try it on, then on his own life be it. I would definately wish to be the one to flick the red button.

The rule of certainty will prevail in court. If there is not 100% proof then it should not happen, but at the same time, let the git suffer in a cell with no TV or comfy mattress. This scum needs to be taught that the law is the law and that those who wish to break it should face harsh consequences. Fcuk human rights. The criminal scum do not deserve them. The left wing (Pink and Friendly) politicians (or their wives) need to have a good battering or more serious offence carried out against them before they open their very narrow field of view.

Its the to$$ers in government, such as those who stopped the 90 day interrogation of terror suspects bill going through that should have been on the tubes and bus that were hit on Jul 07.

Having taken a kicking off a thug and his mates who had records as long as your arm and then being cautioned by the police for head butting one of then made me lose faith in the system of British Justice a long time ago. About the same time as a bloke called Mr Common Sense died.

A complete overhaul of the prison service to save money should be made. This money should go to bolster the pension fund or to the criminal compesation board. Start by selling all the inmates TVs, and any other expensive electronic equipment. Chain the to§§ers up and let them do hard manual labour to cover costs. Let them eat Netto brand food or anything past its sell by date in the shops.

Watch the drop in criminallity if the terms were changed and they got what they derserved.

Nobody's life is holier than the next and the death penalty should be a matter of fact for the likes of murderers, rapists or peadofiles. They have no place on this earth.

Sermon for today is over................dream of something else untill Mr Common Sence is reincarnated.

I would not say that a Policeman's life is worth more than any one else's life, BUT they do need the full protection of the law while they are on duty. I can remember a time that any one resisting arrest would automatically get jail time. All the bobby had to do was to place his hand on your shoulder and be informed of your arrest. He would then walk the offending person back to the Police Station with out handcuffs or any fuss as they all knew that if they caused trouble it would be the worse for them. The crooks would check each other before going out on a job to make sure that no one was carrying a weapon for if any one was killed they could hang. If some one was in a bar room brawl and one of them was knocked down and hit his head and died then it was manslaughter which carried a ten year hard labour sentence with out fail. These days some one can get eight years for carrying gun and ten years for murder. Now how many would gamble on an extra couple of years and shoot a person that got in your way. After all you do then have a chance of making a clean getaway.

W.Anchor said:
The crooks would check each other before going out on a job to make sure that no one was carrying a weapon for if any one was killed they could hang.
This was the 'joint enterprise' rule which resulted in Bentley having a date with the gallows and as far as I'm aware it's still a point of law, though obviously the death penalty isn't.