A Poem for Christmas - The Soldier

Discussion in 'Poetry Corner' started by visitingrock, Dec 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good day to you all,

I am a first time poster on your site, however, have been an observer for sometime. As my username suggests I am a Rock Ape in the RAF. I felt I had to join your site to post the following poem sent to me by a friend.

I don't think there are any copyright issues as the author is anonymous.

Some might see it as sentimental; some will see it as poignant at this time of year. It may not be the best piece of poetry, however, I believe it acts as a good reminder for all of us to remember those soldiers, sailors and airmen who are currently in a 'bad place' whether that be overseas on operations or the many ex serving personnel who are homeless or destitute here at home.

I would ask one thing of members of this site, if you have a smart remark to badmouth my Corps or the intent of this post, please have some respect and keep it to yourself. Feel free to turn on me after anyother post I might make in the future.

Thanks and Merry Xmas

2. May I be the first to say welcome and add, a quality first post!

Merry Christmas to you too.
  3. Cracking Post. :)

Brought a tear to my eye.
  4. Welcome, rock and a very sobering poem.
  5. Yep, Welcome Rock, I actually started a similar thread yesterday, it is an excellent Poem, I originally found it written for the USMC and it is obviously adapted for whatever Units site it finds itself in...

A Soldiers Poem ... Again...
  6. Sorry Gundulph didn't mean to rob your thread. Just recieved the poem through an email and thought I would post it where it would be appreciated. Have also posted it on E-Goat and PPrune. Got a right tw@t called 'Wizzard' post a reply on Pprune who says the poem stinks and that I am a 'walt' (save any banter about the RAF Regt for another thread thanks). Hope he comes through my AOR soon and I can workout who he is and then we'll see who the 'walt' is!!!
  7. Thats a bit weird, I don't see how liking a Poem that is written for Soldiers or former Soldiers at Chrimbo makes you a Walt?! I guess we are all Walts then?! You'll always get someone ragging a thread just for the sake of it and for attempting to make themselves popular with their witty remarks, I know we can all be ARRSEs at the majority of times, that's the nature of British Forces, but deep down most former or serving squaddies can probably relate in some way to parts of a poem like that and everyone who messaged me about it actually admitted to liking it!!!
  8. Hey, I can take banter as well as anyone. This guy's point was that he had never heard a Rock Ape refer to the RAF Regt as 'a Corps' (we were given Corps status in Apr 1942) and therefore he issued a 'Walt Alert'. Anyway, he is probably the walt.

I will stop ruining my own thread now and go back to PPrune to rip into the geek.
  9. Hmm maybe he is a SAC hence an Airman and not a Soldier, after all the poem is about a Soldier, the Rock Apes are after all the RAF's Soldiers are they not? so tell him to beat it...

It would be interesting to see what the more cunningly minded on ARRSE can come up with by replacing some of the verses with a Christmas Tale of an RAF Chappie, curled up in his single accomodation of a 4 bedroom bungalow with state of the art digitally controlled under floor and arse of chair heating on camp etc.....

Again Rock, its an excellent Poem and very apt to any 'Soldier' Army, Marines or Air Force Regiment...
  10. Rock... So, is the said culprit a Walt SAC?
  11. that one has been around for last three years
  12. Thanks W.Anchor... You're the Best!
  13. Top post, quite a moving poem.
  14. :D :D Good post rock, I had a lump in the throat. It's sad to say that this verse has more than a hint of truth in it.

Have a very happy Xmas mate. God bless
  15. Hiya Rock,

Thank's for sharing that nice poem with us.

Merry Xmas and all the best to all.