A personal history

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by VerminWA, Jan 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Came across this website of an ex RAF Wireless operator from WW2, he was stationed in the Far East and voluteered to work with the Chindits. Well worth a read. Arths Shed
  2. And at the end of it the website you find this;

3. Just finished reading the site, i was gutted when i got to the last page and found he had died 2004.

Sounds like he enjoyed life though and was a graftter.

4. What a shame. The last bit certainly brings it home to you.
  5. A great site - pity that it will probably eventually disappear, and his recollections lost. I'd have been interested to meet the guy: I lived in many of the places he was stationed in (India, (present day) Bangladesh, Singapore, Malaya & Ceylon), and I used to bimble about doing a bit of military/colonial archaeology - many of the places he mentioned are now buried in the jungle or just have a few clues to a WW2 function.
  6. It shouldn't be lost, as Archive.org retains copies of most sites.

Just smiling about his musical tastes and thinking about Dad , who was very partial to a bit of Heavy Metal. :D
  7. A wonderful site. For me this is real history and now at least there is something to remember his unique time. I wish more past servicemen had recorded their experiences like this.

It's so important for me that my grandfather wrote up his memories and history of his RE Field Company in WWII, just before he passed. I often read it and he doesn't feel so far away anymore.