A peculiar amalgamation

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by outoflineinf, Feb 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In these times of amalgamation I've been looking into the history of such occurances and was particularly struck by the joining together of the 62nd (Wiltshire) and 99th (Lanarkshire) back in C19. One English, one Scottish. I'm told they were amalgamated due to a clerical error. Is this pukka? Could it not be that someone in Whitehall thought that Lanarkshire was somewhere between Berkshire and Hampshire? Would be grateful for any proper knowledge.

2. I haven't got a definitive answer but the same could be said to have happened to the 43rd (Monmouthshire) and 52nd (Oxfordshire). I think the Monmouthshire bit was added as a reward for putting down an insurrection but became an anachronism as the Regiment subsequently moved away. These were the days when the only real affiliation was to the Colonel of the Regiment. After a long spell in Ireland, the ranks of the 12th of Foot were distinctly Irish in spite of the fact that they were supposed to be Suffolks. So there you go, no definitive answer but a couple of examples where the ethnic make-up and regional connections aren't represented by the name.
    Hope this helps for now; I shall be watching with interest for a more erudite answer.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The RSDG's are an amalgamation of a Scots and a Welsh regiment.

4. The Scots DG's are an amalgamation of the Royal Scots Greys and the 3rd carbineers who recuited from Cheshire!!

5. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

The pairing of regiments was part of the Cardwell Reforms of the 1870s, which formed 2 Bn Regts from the former single Bn Regts in order that one could be on home service and the other 'on ops' in the Empire (sound familiar?). See the link for the reason for 'odd couples'.http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/depot/1873.htm

6. Compare also QRIH amalgamation with the QOH.

7. the 43rd and 52nd were, i believe both LI so ts not so odd....

8. it could depend where the regiments were when amalgamated in the penisular war units that suffered heavy casualties were temporaly joined together untill drafts of replacments from home could make the numers up enough to form there original battlions like after alhubera when the survivors of colviles brigade were formed into a single battalion for a short time

9. The 94th Foot (Scotch Brigade) were amalgamated with the 88th Foot (Connaught Rangers) in 1881.

10. '37 regiments found themselves in a "foreign" home' (see Napier's link above). Good to see that even in 1881 at the height of Empire the British Army was messing up amalgamations.