A pardon after 90 years

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Arthur3bums, Aug 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do we feel as Ex and Serving members of the Army, about the news that, after some 90 years, some 300 souls, shot for PTSD (in WW1 known as cowardice) have eventually received a posthumous pardon?
    If I'd been sat in a stinking, louse ridden bog trench while the hun tried to rearrange my life plan with heavy artillery as, to quote Catpain Slackbladder, "a bunch of idiots sat in HQ hatching a masterplan to move the mess silver cupboard 6 inches closer to Berlin!" at a cost of 60,000 lives a day, I'd be pretty p*ssed off too. These were men, in my opinion who had lived in hell for a very prolonged time, the effect on the nerve must, as is well documented, have been dreadful.
    So what, for all this time, has taken the authorities to such lengths of deliberation that the pardon has only now arrived. A court Martial in those days must have taken oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh a whole minute!!

Sorry if an Armoured Farmer is seen to be serious on this occasion but, needs are, when the devil pee's in your pot!!!!
  2. Sorry if an Armoured Farmer is seen to be serious on this occasion but, needs are, when the devil pee's in your pot!!!![/quote]

You are Pardoned
  3. I think the timing is perfect. To have granted Pardon's earlier when the men who did NOT refuse to go back in the trenches were still alive would I feel have been inapproriate. The vast majority of those being pardoned were not cowards, they were in fact very brave men who were overwhelmed by the experiences they had endured, and I applaud and welcome the decision to restore their good name.
  4. Too right. Those guys went through things that cannot be imagined in this day and age, and were treated shamefully. My family was lucky. Those who went out came home. My grandfather committed an act of bravery that would have earned him an MM, but as it was, merely saved him from the firing squad as he was separated from his unit. These poor souls were victims, firstly of PTSD, and secondly of the awful beaurocracy that (mis)managed our armed forces in the first world war.
  5. Not much has changed then!