A&P - Propogation Prediction Software

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by polar, Oct 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems my Win HF copy has died (will be trying to get a newer copy)

Does anyone use any other (free/legal) programs for prediction. I remember downloading something similar to Win HF in the past but I can't find it now.

I'm taking some Ops on A&P revision next week and I want to show them how changing antenna's effects propogation (I was going to use Win HF, altering things like antenna length, height etc alter propogation)

thanks

2. thanks. I'd been looking at those type of sites, that one was lot clearer.

3. Glad to help.

4. Whoever the main holder of WinHf in your unit is, (Regt YofS) will receive a new copy monthly so you can just update a new copy from him.
    If you require real time predictions you can call forest Moor or check if your unit gets the daily signal they send out showing what the next 24hrs predictions are.
    There are also may programs and web pages on the net. Try links from the Royal Signals Amatuer Radio website.

http://www.rsars.org.uk

5. Actually guys - I believe WinHF is being replaced across the Corps by something called Spectra. You can get it by calling the Defence Spectrum Centre at Blandford (Mil Directories will be able to give you the number).

6. Not sure if spectra will do HF predictions or not. i was under the impression it was purely a PPA tool. Win Hf is sourced via BAE but there are licensing issues. As blackadder said forest moor are more than helpful.

7. Not sure if spectra will do HF predictions or not. i was under the impression it was purely a PPA tool. Win Hf is sourced via BAE but there are licensing issues. As blackadder said forest moor are more than helpful.

8. I've used Radio Mobile before now for civvy stuff, (Mostly 2.4GHz) no idea if it's any good for military uses - I've not done trade yet.

9. Not entirely true, I'm afraid. Spectra does not have the full functionality that WinHF has.... sun spots, you see :D

However, Spectra is a damn good tool, and is well worth having anyway!!

Ghost

10. Sounds like someone thought the name up in a pub !

11. Found who holds our copy ... the IS Eng PSI (because its software?)

Had a look at Raptor/Spectra earlier this year, looks like a very usefull tool but isn't it aimed at Wide Area Systems (Ptarmigan/Falcon).